Ahh-Some vs Serum Hot Tub Water Care

Sep 9, 2016
Wayland
Okay - looking for some feedback / information.

I was recently turned onto Ahh-Some and so far it has done a great job (purge and a weekly maintenance dose of 2 oz to 1 gal of water and dose 340 gallon hot tub with 4 oz every seven days).

Upon doing some research, I came across Hot Tub Serum that makes a Purge product and a Maintenance product.

Ahh-Some is blue and only offers a packaged Purge product.

Serum is purple and offers a packaged Purge product as well as a Maintenance Solution you add weekly.

The instructions read almost identical to each other in terms of dosage for the Purge product.

So, now I am curious. I thought Ahh-Some was developed by Gerry and that is who I have been working with and is beyond helpful. So reached out to Serum and this was their response:

Dear Scott,

Ahh-some is manufactured by our sister company, it is mainly designed just as a purge. Serum however is a stronger formula than Ahh-some, the big difference is that Serum has a maintenance product that continues the cleansing and softening of your water after you refill the spa to prevent the regrowth of sludge and slim.

Regards,

Customer Care
Serum Watercare LLC

What does this mean? A stronger formula than Ahh-Some or a stronger solution due to the Maintenance solution? I read a lot about Ahh-Some on here and a few other threads, but it's hard to get except through Amazon - which works for me. Serum is handled by a major pool and spa presence in our area, but I have not spoken to them about their product.

Does anyone have any information on why such similarities? A sister company? Not sure if they are the same or are really different products.

Anyone have any knowledge or feedback?

Thanks all -

Scott

I used ahh-some but not the other. I have trouble with the maintenance dose. If you keep your tub sanitized, how can growth occur in the plumbing system if you previously flushed it with either product prior to refill?

This statement has always seemed fishy to me provided you keep an active level of sanitizer in your tub - I'm sure the maintenance dose is valid but what's it preventing in a sanitized tub that's properly managed until the next water change?

The maintenance dosing is not necessary if you’re keeping your tub properly sanitizer and clean. The main mode of action for these products is to act as a surfactant that helps to breakup oils and other hydrophobic compounds and keep them suspended in solution rather than settling out. This allows the filter to capture the gunk more readily and the water stays “cleaner”. It may allow you to get a longer run between water exchanges, but probably not by much.

There’s no harm in doing it and the extra sanitizer demand shouldn’t be too noticeable as chlorine or bromine will oxidize the primary components of the Ahh-some.

Thanks for the reply.
Since I have some Ahh-some, I might try it out as a maintenance dose and see if I notice any benefit.

Even if it doesn’t do anything for you from a sanitation perspective, the maintenance solution will act as a mild clarifier so you should see benefits in terms of tub water clarity. Check your filter a little more regularly as it may load up faster if it’s catching more particulates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.