Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions about replacing pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions about replacing pump

Is it pretty easy to replace a pool pump yourself. I'm fairly handy, and it looks as easy as disconnecting/reconnecting the two plumbing connections, and wiring the new pump in. I can handle that, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

The outside is pretty rusted up so I can't read the model information, but it looks very similar to this Sta-Rite Dura-Glas series pump
    https://store.pinchapenny.com/produc...e/00000422.jpg

Do I need to replace with the same brand/style of pump, or are all pumps going to hook up to the same plumbing set up? I read the article in the Pool School about pump size and it looks like I need a 1/2 HP single speed pump or a 1 HP two-speed pump for my 20k gal inground pool.

Any recommendations on brand, single speed vs multi speed, where to buy?

Thanks!
    IG pool, 20k gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions about replacing pump

I'd be reluctant to go with a 1/2HP pump on your pool. I'd be concerned that you might not get sufficient suction for vacuuming. I have a very similarly sized pool, and I feel that my 1HP pump is just right. I could probably see a 3/4HP as well. The ideal pump would be a two-speed. I'm seriously considering a Whisperflo 1HP Two-speed when I need a new pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Reading more about the multi-speed pumps and it sounds like they really can be a significant cost savings in the long run. The whisperflo 1HP two speed you mentioned looks like a pretty good option.

I was looking at the 1 HP intelliflow also, but I don't know if I can justify spending over $1k on the pump. Does anyone here have the intelliflow pump? Was it worth it?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm like you. I can't see the extra money for the Intelliflo. In high power cost areas like California, I think it makes a lot of sense, but in my area it would take a long time to see a difference in a two-speed and the Intelliflo.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to order the 1 hp dual speed pentair pump (011486) in the next few days, can anyone recommend a good online dealer? The best price I can find in 570.00 including s/h, no tax and that's from poolsonly.com.

Thanks
    19,600 to 22,500 gallon plaster pool. (Every calculator is different)
    1 1/2 hp pump Don't know the flow rate
    48 sq. ft. DE filter
    Polaris 280
    Real POS Laars LX Low NOX 400k heater (5 years old and it's DEAD)

6. Back To Top    #6

I just ordered from poolwharehouse.net last night. I got the whisperflow 2 speed up-rated 1.5 HP (WFDS-26) for $535 + $8 handling. I'll post back here when I get it.

They have the up-rated 1.5 HP and the full rated 1 HP (WFDS-4), but the full rated 1HP is about $100 more. From what I read here and looking at the service factors on the pumps, they are the exact same pump.

The full rated is 1 HP with a service factor of 1.65, and the up-rated is 1.5 HP with a service factor of 1.1

7. Back To Top    #7

ordered on the 9th, received it yesterday on the 11th. +1 for poolwharehouse.net
    I'll get the new pump hooked up this weekend and the pool hasn't even started to turn green yet. Hooray!