Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer issue

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer issue

When they built our pool they must have been a litle short on the pipe to the skimmer because it's about 2 inches lower than what I believe it should be. The opening in the pool is fine as you can see in the first picture but looking at the second pic, you can see that the bucket is too low, note the excess concrete near the top.

Well because of this, in order for the skimmer to work, the water level has to be very low, maybe no more than an inch over the opening. I was thinking about putting in a pipe to extend the inlet a bit to try to increase it's efficiency.

What do you think?

30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: skimmer issue

It appears the pavers were added later and the skimmer was set to the height of the original concrete. Even then, it looks to be too low.

Anyway, it seems you could attach a 1" high "gate" at the mouth of the skimmer thereby effectively raising the lower lip of the skimmer by an inch and then it should be more effective. You could go 1.5 inches if you needed to.

I would lower the water to just below the bottom lip to let it dry out a little and then make something from plastic or even wood that would look decent.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, believe it or not that was completely new, done at the same time as the house construction. There was never anything under the pavers. Two different home inspectors missed it.

So if I **** the intake that will actually suck more? When I look down in the skimmer it looks like nothing is moving. I can close off the main drain and it increases suction but still not enough to move the water unless the level is very low. It seems the pipe is so far down that it doesn’t pull the surface water. I drained it down to about a half inch over the inlet and its working but that is pretty low and in the dry season I could never leave it that way. I looked again and if I put a pipe, I couldn't come up too far before I hit the bottom of the basket.

Since the pool is entirely screened in, I don't get anything big falling in the pool anyway, just some small bugs and somehow a frog once or twice a year.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks to me that the gate, wier, is not working properly, it should be floating when the pump is off.

[the gate should swing up when the pump is off and swing down when the pump is on]

I think it is full of water or the foam which makes it float has come off.
    Happy swims
    Frank
    ps i put a bigger piece of stryofoam on mine to improve the skimmer action.
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.