Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Paint For Pool Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Paint For Pool Coping

Hey folks,

The coping around IG Vinyl pool is starting to show the metal through the paint, so it's time for a new paint job.

I thought I would clean it with a degreaser of some kind and scrub it with some steel wool. Then I would use some white appliance paint from a spray can to paint it. If there is a primer for appliances, I would use that as well.

Is this what you guys would recommend? If not, what would be the recommended method for painting the pool coping?

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best Paint For Pool Coping

I know they make special coping paint that I got through my distributor last year. This is the only one I could find online: http://www.waterwarehouse.com/poolsuppl ... -3569.html

hope that helps, its pretty expensive. I think appliance paint will work pretty well though
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link! I actually bought some of the appliance paint while I was in Lowes since it was only $5 a can. I'll test it out in a small area. If for any reason it doesn't seem like it will work well, I'll pick up some of that coping paint!

I'll post back here with the results for others in the future.
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

4. Back To Top    #4

What about powder coating? I have a buster crabbe pool with alum coping. It looks terrible, I'm sorta handy, thought to sandblast them and powder coat them. it would sure dress up mine! Thoughts?
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to paint my coping, too. It would sure be easier with a brush-on paint. I won't do it this year because I have so many other pool issues to address. What sort of preparation should be done before painting?
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC