Hurricane Matthew

Let me tell you this, it is human nature to underestimate the ferocity a hurricane can bring. You said you are new to hurricanes. I would pay the employees and give them the day off and get out of there. A slight shift in the weather models can mean disaster. I hope all goes well for you and yours.

Let me tell you this, it is human nature to underestimate the ferocity a hurricane can bring. You said you are new to hurricanes. I would pay the employees and give them the day off and get out of there. A slight shift in the weather models can mean disaster. I hope all goes well for you and yours.

I am not the business owner, just an employee but I'm the only one who can do payroll. I'll go in and get it done and hopefully be allowed to leave. This late in the game there's no where really to go (hotels all booked) and we have two dogs. Will just have to ride it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you have the dog's collars on with their tags and leashes out and ready to grab IF something happens you have to run out of the house fast.

Keep safe and know we are thinking about you. It will be a story to tell down the road.

I'll never understand the thinking that pets lives and a last minute pay check are more important than ultimately surviving one of these events. If you're "gone"......who's left to take care of the pets long term and did that last check cover your funeral?

Here we are in West Palm Beach, FL. Luckily no hole in the ground yet. Future pool location:
ef7ef17f6008892c37e9034c95e7d03b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never understand the thinking that pets lives and a last minute pay check are more important than ultimately surviving one of these events. If you're "gone"......who's left to take care of the pets long term and did that last check cover your funeral?

For me it's about responsibility. 20+ people were relying on me this morning to go in to work and get their paychecks to them. These are hardworking, blue collar men who mostly live paycheck to paycheck. Getting their checks today might make a difference in them being able to buy supplies for the hurricane or gas to evacuate.

As far as my dogs go, again it is my responsibility to take care of them. I would never abandon them during a storm. I don't think most animal lovers would ever consider just leaving their dogs. And we do have people who would take care of our dogs if we were "gone" and I have the money for final expenses :wink:.

Take some water out of your Pool. At least to the bottom of the skimmers. maybe a bit below if you can do it without sucking air. Then give that Alabama idea some consideration. (just kidding)

I am 120 miles inland and I don't think you can find a loaf of bread in the county!!

Forget the bread ... how about beer? :cool:

I see you are from Sebring Dave. My daughter went to UCF and my good friend lives near Everglades City and i took 27 down one time a few years ago. This is finally changing but Florida has always been way behind the times when it comes to craft beer but i did find a fantastic beer store in Sebring no less. They even had a craft beer from a little brewery up my way that i had never heard of.

Good Luck!

My buddy from the Everglades is out fishing now hoping for a pre storm feeding binge !

I would not say to leave the dogs, but you can put the dogs in the car and get out NOW. It may mean having the dogs sleep in the car, it may mean you sleeping in the car, but that is better than being in a house at landfall for a Cat 4 hurricane. The window to leave is closing rapidly, in another 4-6 hours chances are the conditions there will make leaving no longer a viable option, this includes not just weather, but road and traffic condition. During major evacuations around here when contra flow highway evacuations was underway it is common for average speed to drop to well below 25 mph.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would completely abandon the employees, but would NEVER abandon my dogs!

Do you live in a mandatory evacuation zone? If you do, your employer needs to allow you to do what you need to do for the safety of your family (and that includes the critters).

OK, call me optimistic but I have been watching the eye bending a little more toward the north. Just a couple more degrees to the right and FL will be in much better shape. Track that eye for the last hour and see if you agree or not.

I know The Weather Channel won't say anything because it screws up their ratings.

Flbchluvr

I understand your thoughts on responsibilities, I too am staying, we are farther from the coast than you and up near Jacksonville, but thinking we should only get 50 mph winds this area and less rain. But thinking on your pool situation, don't drain down too much, remember our water table here in Florida, I plan to just put my drain hose out and leave it, then monitor it and drain as I need too, we are expecting 4-8 inch's of rain. Doesn't take long for my pump to drop a couple inch's, I just watch it from the patio then turn it off. Good luck and hope you weather the storm well.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

OK, call me optimistic but I have been watching the eye bending a little more toward the north. Just a couple more degrees to the right and FL will be in much better shape. Track that eye for the last hour and see if you agree or not.

I know The Weather Channel won't say anything because it screws up their ratings.

I saw that too, the eye is getting less organized and more dry air, hopefully that is good news.

Keith

We were just upgraded to a Hurricane warning about 1 hr NW of Charleston. We are 13 miles inland and hope to avoid the worst wind. We are forecast to get 18 inches of rain on top of the 12+ recently. we live right in the middle of the National Forest, and a bazillion pine trees. Ugh. We are leaving our mobile home for a new house in town and hope we will be able to get home quickly. Last year's flood devastated the county and washed out many roads. As for the pool, we did what was suggested here. Prepared for the worst, praying for the best for all of us in Matthews path. Stay safe my friends!

I was thinking the same, but didn't want to talk too loudly about it. I'm in West Palm, and I'm hoping for this thing to stay off the coast. Why do these things always seem to hit at night? Unnerving, and can't sleep!

I was thinking the same, but didn't want to talk too loudly about it. I'm in West Palm, and I'm hoping for this thing to stay off the coast. Why do these things always seem to hit at night? Unnerving, and can't sleep!

I don't know but both of the semi big ones I have been through were at night. I didn't sleep through the first one, Alicia 83, b/c I was 11 and scared however for Ike 2008 I had too many adult beverages to care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.