Salt day has arrived, finally so a couple questions

There won't be any scale in that cell with CSI -0.3 to 0! Yes, I agree that as the cell ages you need to be aware that false low salt errors are a common failure mode.

Thanks guys. Will fire it up this later today. Ordered the k-1766, will test salt next week when it gets here. I am off to Hawaii, thurs-sun for work. Hoping to get this thing running correctly by weds evening to avoid pucks.

Good info here. I added 150lbs last week and let the system run 6hrs/day for the last week (in floor heads) - stabilized at 3000ppm and fired up the SWG at 40% today.

I let Titan do all of my (over) thinking!!!!!

Come on guys, it's the OCD people like me that made space travel possible, lol!

I kicked my salt cell on yesterday @ 50% with a FC level of 5.5ppm, 6 hours later I tested at 6pm and the FC was @ 6.5PPM. I dropped the cell to 40%, my pump is running @ 1500 RPMs from 8am-5pm. Will test again this afternoon, but I think with a longer pump run time I can reduce the cell usage, well we shall see.

Come on guys, it's the OCD people like me that made space travel possible, lol!

I kicked my salt cell on yesterday @ 50% with a FC level of 5.5ppm, 6 hours later I tested at 6pm and the FC was @ 6.5PPM. I dropped the cell to 40%, my pump is running @ 1500 RPMs from 8am-5pm. Will test again this afternoon, but I think with a longer pump run time I can reduce the cell usage, well we shall see.

You've got it backwards. You want to increase output and decrease pump run time. Pumps typically use more energy than the cell so it's better to push the cell harder than run the pumps longer.

You've got it backwards. You want to increase output and decrease pump run time. Pumps typically use more energy than the cell so it's better to push the cell harder than run the pumps longer.

I thought running 8-5 was adequate run time for the pump? I guess I can cut back on the run time but I like the pool clean and it's crystal clear, perhaps I will try cutting back on the run time? For now I just want to be able to maintain FC at 5ppm. I will see where FC is when I get home from work.

I thought running 8-5 was adequate run time for the pump? I guess I can cut back on the run time but I like the pool clean and it's crystal clear, perhaps I will try cutting back on the run time? For now I just want to be able to maintain FC at 5ppm. I will see where FC is when I get home from work.

Its a preference thing. I run my pump currently 12 hours as it is cooler, and covered at night. In the peak heat of summer it was and will be 24/7. I set my SWG to low generation (25% output on the lowest of 3 power settings for cell). I like the constant water flow when open.

See this study -

http://consensus.fsu.edu/FBC/Pool-Efficiency/FAU-FPL-NSPI_1984_study-efficiency_of_circulation_systems.pdf

Basically shows the old concept of required minimum turnovers is false and that most pools achieve adequate levels of sanitation and cleanliness with just a few hours of pump run time.

See this study -

http://consensus.fsu.edu/FBC/Pool-E...4_study-efficiency_of_circulation_systems.pdf

Basically shows the old concept of required minimum turnovers is false and that most pools achieve adequate levels of sanitation and cleanliness with just a few hours of pump run time.

Yes, very true. But some, like me, like the constant water flow. I have lots of trees and bugs around here. So I prefer constant water flow to get those to the skimmer and run the other stuff through the filter, before they sink to the bottom and require my robot to sweep. Again, a preference thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The system will work from 2500-4000. Sweet spot is around 3400. In most average size pools one 40lb bag will bring it up 300ppm. The way I do it is when it gets in the 3000 range I add one whole bag. I never do half bags and I don't keep extras. Just buy one when you need it

Ok, just tested the salt with the taylor k1766 kit, the test said the water is at 2,800 ppm, my salt cell says 2,900. So do i add more to get to 3000ppm?

Is the unit producing chlorine? How much water loss or fresh water addition do you expect?

You will likely be using more muriatic acid than in the past and that will add chloride to the water.

Salt typically holds steady or rises in the dry western climates. I have never had to add salt to my pool in years. So if your SWG is happily making chlorine, I wouldn't worry about raising it. If you feel better being at 3000ppm, then that's ok too. Just remember that salt takes time to disperse and homogenize so adding can cause spurious "high salt" alarms as it mixes.

Yes its making Chlorine. I guess i can leave it. I will be adding acid due to new plaster. Just thought i should be at 3000.

With new plaster and SWG you'll be adding a lot of acid over the course of the next year or so. You'll easily increase your chloride levels by a couple of hundred ppm just from the acid use alone. Unless you expect to get some heavy rain dilution and draining over the next year or so, I think you'll find your salt levels will slowly rise. Also, once your water temp drops to the low 60's, the SWG will go into cold water cut-off and you'll be manually chlorinating with bleach which will add chloride as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.