DE in pool

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I just did my first backwash a few days ago and I noticed DE in the edges around the pool. I have read it is normal will show up in the pool but how much is considered ok? I added 8lbs to a Hayward DE7200. I noticed quite a bit in the edges and in the divots but if I was to guess i would say 1/4-1/2 lbs total but hard to say as our Dolphin robot got some in its cartridge as well.

I did not tear it down, just did a backwash and recharge.

I recently have been suffering this issue also. However, at least with my setup, it is not normal. I found the breather was cracked and caked with DE, and issues with an element.

My limited understanding is that if the breather is fouled, you can get back flow of DE into the pool. I had to accomplish numerous robot filter cleanings before I could get it all cleaned up.

I recently have been suffering this issue also. However, at least with my setup, it is not normal. I found the breather was cracked and caked with DE, and issues with an element.

My limited understanding is that if the breather is fouled, you can get back flow of DE into the pool. I had to accomplish numerous robot filter cleanings before I could get it all cleaned up.

When you do a full tear down, did that fix it or did you need to buy replacement parts?

When you do a full tear down, did that fix it or did you need to buy replacement parts?

I replaced the breather, and that helped, but I have a leak in one of my elements. Instead of trying to hunt it down, I decided to replace the filter; 1) it has to be 15 years old, and the fiberglass has chalked--makes it unpleasant to clean, 2) the filter is a tad smallish for my pool and I prefer way oversize so I can run my pump at very low flow, 3) the latest DEs are faster and easier to clean, 4) my backwash valve is on its last leg, and 5) I wanted a full function, high flow valve.

For you, it might be a 10 dollar breather valve. If it is, it will be relatively obvious, and an easy fix (just pull the top off, and swap out breathers).

If if this is an older Pentair like mine, they have a redesign of the breather, possibly because of this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.