Clueless Newbie

this is not a helpful answer, but I know people that have had a broken speedometer on a car and did fine since you mentioned.

The reason I asked the question is that the prior homeowner told us (NEW TO POOL OWNERSHIP) that he didn't use it, he just gauged the strength of flow by hand, when it wasn't feeling like it normally does, he would back wash and rinse.

This is a bit like asking if a speedometer is necessity on a car

That's good. Take what you can get. But don't let your guard down Staci. Keep an eye on it and test at intervals that seem appropriate based on the expected loss of FC. Once the water is crystal clear and your FC loss is minimal each day, then you can look ahead to performing an overnight (OCLT) test.

As for the gauge .... :) ... it would be better to have one that works. Maybe consider ordering when you place your next order for reagents? You'll have better peace of mind for sure. Like the speedometer example above ... when I pass a cop on the road, the first thing I do is look at my speedometer. Then I look in my rear view mirror. :cop: ha ha.

Re: SLAM FC fluctuating up w/o adding

Please stick to one thread. Your history is on your other thread: Clueless Newbie - Page 4 Thanks!
will do, didn't think of it that way :)

So... as the impatient girl I am, when should I start seeing a color change in my water? I am grass green right now :ncool:

FC dropped from 30 to 22 last night... added 3 qt 3c of bleach to get it back up and brushed a little (will do more later... no coffee yet = don't function properly) :)
View attachment 54525

It should improve every day. Pictures are a good idea, helps you gauge progress. Brush at least once every day, keep the FC up by checking and adding every few hours and it will clear up.

stair question... we have "wedding cake" stairs are these OK to keep or should we maybe look at basic ladder stairs? (when we pulled them out to do the SLAM, there was some serious green soup that poured out of the corners) Gross :pukel:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those steps will always be something to contend with as water seems to just sit in there and get nasty. If you are able to weight the steps down for daily use, yet still be able to move, inspect, and clean when needed, then you're okay. I've seen various methods of securing those kind of steps. But if you aren't able to manipulate those steps very well, you may want to look at other options that allow you to inspect/clean without becoming too overwhelming.

Getting slightly discouraged. 2.5 days almost done w/ one bottle of R-0871 and what looks like NO change. �� I am checking FC every hour or two and the lowest my FC has dropped was 21.5 (target 28) my FC has been pretty steady at 27.5 , should I be checking anything else?

It seems like replacing half the water would have lightened it some.

Regardless, it is not an overnight fix and could take a couple weeks. Once you notice the FC falling off less, you can increase the time between checking. Post a CC # also from time to time.

POP = Pool Owner Patience!

It did, i didnt take a before drain pic. (I thought about it after we drained duh). I will try to have P.O.P :/ . I will post CC at my next FC test. Thanks Bruce
It seems like replacing half the water would have lightened it some.

Regardless, it is not an overnight fix and could take a couple weeks. Once you notice the FC falling off less, you can increase the time between checking. Post a CC # also from time to time.

POP = Pool Owner Patience!

Nope. I do have 2 suggestions. Space out your testing and adding if FC is not falling that much. You'll save on reagent and keep yourself from going crazy. Try every 3-4 hours.

Also, use a 5ml pool sample, same scoop of powder and then each drop of 871 = 1.

I just had a thought, did you do a new CYA test after replacing water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.