Clueless Newbie

Measure your actual pool water depth to get a better read on your volume in PoolMath: Pool School - PoolMath
That link will also help you with desired levels.

To siphon, you can use multiple hoses. If you have a large vacuum hose, that helps a ton. Also, if those aren't options, big box stores rent submersible pumps.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the link you posted, vinyl, with bleach. However, PoolMath will zero in the levels you need, except for the slam. We can talk about that after you drain and refill.

Then you need to re-test the CYA, pH and FC levels to start your SLAM. SLAM Process

You want to the pH to be around 7.2 (if higher you adjust with muriatic acid, use PoolMath to advise on how much)

Then based on your new CYA level you want to add liquid chlorine (plain bleach) in to meet the SLAM goal for killing algae- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Then as often as you can (even hourly at first) re-test the FC level (only that for now) and again add more liquid chlorine to bring the FC level *back up* to your SLAM algae killing level. At first the algae is going to deplete that chlorine very fast so that is why we want you to re-test and re-dose as often as you can. Soon enough you'll see that the FC level is holding longer and longer (as the algae is dying).

Make sure your filter is running 24/7 during this time, and brush the pool often to get everything in to circulation and help expose any hidden areas to the bleach.

Does this make sense to you? Holler back with any questions :)

Yip :flower:

I believe it makes sense, but we don't have Muriatic acid, we have some Ph down or low and slow (whichever it's called) from the pool store, but not a lot.

1. can you get muriatic acid for Home Depot or Lowes?
2. When working in the pool calculator do you add all your #'s or ONLY the # your working on to get the amount of product to add? IE; Ph to get the amount of MA or Ph down needed to get to goal. I don't really understand how to use the pool calculator (#'s all at once or one at a time)
3. In the calculator, I just put my "NOW" reading in and according to my pool size the "GOAL" will automatically be set for me?
4. We have to get Ph down before adding the bleach to adjust CYA?
5. can you use pool while in the SLAM process? (kids are itching to get in)
Thanks for your patience with the Clueless Newbies

Then you need to re-test the CYA, pH and FC levels to start your SLAM. SLAM Process

You want to the pH to be around 7.2 (if higher you adjust with muriatic acid, use PoolMath to advise on how much)

Then based on your new CYA level you want to add liquid chlorine (plain bleach) in to meet the SLAM goal for killing algae- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Then as often as you can (even hourly at first) re-test the FC level (only that for now) and again add more liquid chlorine to bring the FC level *back up* to your SLAM algae killing level. At first the algae is going to deplete that chlorine very fast so that is why we want you to re-test and re-dose as often as you can. Soon enough you'll see that the FC level is holding longer and longer (as the algae is dying).

Make sure your filter is running 24/7 during this time, and brush the pool often to get everything in to circulation and help expose any hidden areas to the bleach.

Does this make sense to you? Holler back with any questions :)

Yip :flower:

I believe it makes sense, but we don't have Muriatic acid, we have some Ph down or low and slow (whichever it's called) from the pool store, but not a lot.

1. can you get muriatic acid for Home Depot or Lowes?
2. When working in the pool calculator do you add all your #'s or ONLY the # your working on to get the amount of product to add? IE; Ph to get the amount of MA or Ph down needed to get to goal. I don't really understand how to use the pool calculator (#'s all at once or one at a time)
3. In the calculator, I just put my "NOW" reading in and according to my pool size & the "GOAL" will automatically be set for me?
4. We have to get Ph down before adding the bleach to adjust CYA?
5. can you use pool while in the SLAM process? (kids are itching to get in)
Thanks for your patience with the Clueless Newbies
1. Yes, and it is much more economical, stronger and adds nothing additional to your pool like pH down (dry acid) does.
2. You can put all of your now numbers in at the same time. Actually you should since some of the values are related to the others.
3. No, you have to put the goal in. Ask if you aren't sure what a certain value should be.
4. CYA is added with "stabilizer". Reduced with water replacement (draining), which you just did. Bleach raises FC.
5. You can swim up to SLAM if the pH is in the 7s and you can see the bottom (safety).

The reason you want to adjust your pH before you start to SLAM is because once you add a lot of chlorine and your FC tests over 10, the pH test is inaccurate. Also, chlorine works at its best at a pH of around 7.2 so you're optimizing its algae killing power!

You need to input on the right column your current values, then in the left column input what value you desire...and then the program will advise you on what to add and how much to get there. Refer to this--> Pool School - Recommended Levels... **except remember during a SLAM your FC level has to be based on your CYA level. See this --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] **

OK, I'm sorry for being so clueless, but I really don't want to screw this up since draining and refilling is going to be an expensive water bill. I am really confused about all these #'s

once my ph reaches around 7.2, (after adding recommended MA how long do I wait to test again?) I add recommended amount of bleach per calc, then retest approx every hour, putting new # in calc until FC reaches Shock level correct?

You need to input on the right column your current values, then in the left column input what value you desire...and then the program will advise you on what to add and how much to get there. Refer to this--> Pool School - Recommended Levels... **except remember during a SLAM your FC level has to be based on your CYA level. See this --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] **

Your sides are backwards. What you have now goes on the left column and your goals go on right. My FC goal is what I bring my chlorine to every night - to account for daily use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
awesome off to a good start!

Once we get the ph to 7.2 I then add 1 bottle of bleach correct, and then recheck in an hour? (says 120oz, but I have 121 oz bottles)
that extra oz won't hurt right?

Little confused on the target # and shock/slam# (do I need the FC to reach the target or Shock/Slam?)

Will I still have to recheck the 3 above once I start adding in the bleach or just for FC?

Thanks all for the help... This is our first pool (we just purchased the house and pool was an added bonus :) if we can get it right and maintain)

You will want to raise your FC to the Shoc/SLAM level and keep it there during the SLAM process. Once you have completed the SLAM and have made sure you 1) have clear water, 2) passed OCLT, and 3) less than 1 CC then you can keep your FC target at the 8 and above 5.

Sorry, what is OCLT and CC? I am scouring site for those abbreviations and don't see them... :(

You will want to raise your FC to the Shoc/SLAM level and keep it there during the SLAM process. Once you have completed the SLAM and have made sure you 1) have clear water, 2) passed OCLT, and 3) less than 1 CC then you can keep your FC target at the 8 and above 5.

This will tell you how to perform/pass the OCLT - Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

CC is Combined Chlorine and is the 2nd chlorine level we test.
FC - Free Chlorine

Maintaining an appropriate FC level is the most important part of keeping your water in balance. It is important that you do not allow FC to get too low, or you run the risk of getting algae. If FC gets down to zero, or you have algae, the pool is not safe to swim in.

Free chlorine shows the level of disinfecting chlorine available (active plus reserve) to keep your pool sanitary. FC should be tested, and chlorine added daily. If you have an automatic feeder or SWG, you can test it every couple of days. FC is consumed by sunlight, and by breaking down organic material in your pool. The level of FC you need to maintain depends on your CYA level and how much you use the pool. See the Chlorine / CYA Chart for guidelines on the appropriate FC level to maintain based on your CYA level.

Recommended ways to raise FC include: household bleach, liquid chlorine, and salt water chlorine generators (SWG).

CC - Combined Chlorine

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.

Potassium monopersulfate (a common non-chlorine shock) will show up on FAS-DPD chlorine tests as CC. There is a special reagent you can get to neutralize the potassium monopersulfate so you can get a true CC reading. (taken from PoolSchool)

- - - Updated - - -

This will tell you how to correctly SLAM your pool - Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Almost at 7.2 @ 7.5 last time I checked - taking a long time to come down,(started around 3pm) but now that it's getting late how do I keep the FC coming up to SLAM target? just keep testing and adding bleach until I can't keep my eyes open any longer and then continue in morning I am guessing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.