ecoFINISH aquaBRIGHT longterm review

Didn't you put up a before picture of that slide (maybe in another thread)? The image I remember from before looked like the slide was lined with flagstone chunks and mortar joints. I thought to myself, "Who the heck would be crazy enough to slide down that thing??"

Looks great now! I might be tempted to go down it even in polar bear club water conditions....but only if Danny was waiting for me with a nice, warm smoked brisket sammich and two-fingers of Fireball whiskey, neat :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blow another coat right over the top. Nothing to it

Wife and I are looking to put a pool in this Spring. Just meet with a pool company and they strongly promoted the AquaBright finish. We havn't signed on the dotted line yet but are likely to finalize our plans in the next few weeks. So, if I understand this corrrectly, the AB finish is expected to last longer than regular plaster and when the finish needs renovated all you have to do is coat the surface again? No need to remove the old AB finish first? I had a second pool contractor here, who does not do the AB, talk it down saying that it needed to be completely removed when the pool needed resurfaced and said it would cost a fortunate to take it all off in order to apply a new finish. As you can imagine, being a novice at this point, it has caused me some hesitation and I'm really trying to do my homework on this before making any decisions.

I was able to feel the finish at the showroom of the first contractor and really liked the texture. Wife is not a fan of the rough plaster finishes. Also, we were thinking of putting a sun shelf in the pool. Is the finish same to set lounge chair on in the pool?

Also, do you see any reason why the AB finish may not be a suitable finish for a pool in Pennsylvania with our hard Winters? Sitting at 34 degrees right now and heading down.

Thanks in advance and if my pool terminology isn't quite right please forgive me.....still learning.

There is no reason to remove the old finish as additional coats will just melt in to the original. Recoating the pool should also be significantly less expensive.

I don't see a lounge chair harming the surface.

The AquaBright finish should handle your winters much better than any cementitious surface. In fact, you could drain your pool for the winter and refill it in the spring. There is no worry that the plaster will dry out and crack.

Ecofinish is located in Pennsylvania and partnered with Carlton Pools. If you are nearby it would be worth the trip to stop in and get any of your concerns addressed.

There is no reason to remove the old finish as additional coats will just melt in to the original. Recoating the pool should also be significantly less expensive.

I don't see a lounge chair harming the surface.

The AquaBright finish should handle your winters much better than any cementitious surface. In fact, you could drain your pool for the winter and refill it in the spring. There is no worry that the plaster will dry out and crack.

Ecofinish is located in Pennsylvania and partnered with Carlton Pools. If you are nearby it would be worth the trip to stop in and get any of your concerns addressed.

Thank you for the quick response. Carlton was the first vendor I visited. Anthony & Sylvan was the second who talked down the AB. Your information was very helpful. Thank you from a newbie to this forum.

I've got a pool with plaster delamination and one of the options is to locate and chip out delamination spots, resurface with plaster, and then coat with eCoFinish Aquabright.
I'm concerned that any missed or future delaminations in the plaster could still imprint or show with the Aquabright. What is the likelihood of that?
Now that more time has gone by, is your impression of Aquabright still positive?
Steve

I've got a pool with plaster delamination and one of the options is to locate and chip out delamination spots, resurface with plaster, and then coat with eCoFinish Aquabright.
I'm concerned that any missed or future delaminations in the plaster could still imprint or show with the Aquabright. What is the likelihood of that?
Now that more time has gone by, is your impression of Aquabright still positive?
Steve

Pretty much exactly what we found when Brian did my pool. I'll find a link later and you can see some pictures. We filled the delams with cement. Were they perfectly flat? nope. Is there any way to seem them with the pool filled? Nope. Once you fill the pool with water, minor "undulations," as long as they are flared and smoothed into the original surface, don't show. I suppose if you went underwater, with goggles, and put your face right against the pool side, and knew where to look, you could see where we patched.

The downside is the cement takes a lot of grinding, and more than one application.

I'd like to think there is something better and easier than this; maybe the stuff they use for liner pools [I think it is cement mixed with vermiculite]. I'd like to think Brian is working on ideas in this area, or maybe plaster works fine [not sure how fast it cures thought].

Pool Plaster is perfectly fine to patch the voids and should be ready for the AquaBright prep process the following day. If the delaminations are obvious enough to see right now, then I would go ahead and chip them out and patch them. I wouldn't go killing yourself looking for them since the weight of the water and the bond coat of epoxy will actually help hold it all in place. Aquabright is easy enough to repair that if there were any future issues it shouldn't be much more than small job to fix.

I am working on something right now... But it's nowhere near ready to be shared with the general public just yet. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.