Patio/cafe lights over pool

Jun 22, 2016
FL
We currently have about 250 feet of these G50 cafe lights strung across our yard and we LOVE them! Can they go over the pool? Does anyone know enough about electrical to know if these qualify as low voltage? They are 130 volt, 2.7 amps, 350 watts. I've tried to research what exactly that means but it was confusing and unclear.

G50 G40 G30 Patio and Party Globe Bulbs - Novelty Lights Inc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electricity and water never mix well. I wouldn't run any lighting or electrical OVER my pool - or even suspended nearby.

130 volt is not low voltage. The lights you referenced are probably rated at 130 volts but they plug into a 120 volt outlet. Low voltage usually refers to something in the 12-24 volt range (still something I wouldn't hang OVER or suspend near my pool).

Low voltage lighting (think Malibu lights) at ground level near the pool should be okay.

I can't answer your question but we're starting to look into lighting. Are these pretty easy to put up?

Very easy. Hung to an eye hook mounted on our fascia board of patio roof and strung to palm tree trunks across the yard (using elastic bungee cords to allow trees the necessary growth room).

Just not sure we are going to be able to use them once the pool is in.

Electricity and water never mix well. I wouldn't run any lighting or electrical OVER my pool - or even suspended nearby.

130 volt is not low voltage. The lights you referenced are probably rated at 130 volts but they plug into a 120 volt outlet. Low voltage usually refers to something in the 12-24 volt range (still something I wouldn't hang OVER or suspend near my pool).

Low voltage lighting (think Malibu lights) at ground level near the pool should be okay.

Thanks. That's what I expected but wanted to ask to be sure. I'll have to find a new home for my lights. Hopefully I can use 100-150 feet over the pool side decking as a compromise to keep some night lighting.

NEC 680.9A prohibits lights over a pool less than 22.5 feet above the water. It's actually 25 feet minimum for low voltage.

Generally lights must be 10 feet horizontally from the pool but there are exceptions. Never closer than 5 feet under the 2011NEC

Florida follows the 2011NEC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.