Pool closing

Dont worry about closing the pool right now. Get it all cleaned up and clear first that way you will be in good shape come spring. Follow the advise from the great people on here and you will have a sparkling pool all next summer.

That's why I asked about temp! The pool shouldn't be closed until 60° is maintained. Get your slam going and rid yourself of algae. Then you can get into a little bit of a tfp routine. Then close it down. That's why it's good to have it printed infront of you! Did you go buy bleach yet? How about a pic of pool with color of water? Then we can see how bad the algae is!

I can't seem to figure out how to add a picture from my phone but the pool is still pretty green. I've got my ph to 7.2 and fc is now reading at 4. I had added 5 112oz 7.8% chlorine bleach jugs before this reading. I've since added an additional 2 jugs. I'm assuming I just need to keep adding the bleach and checking my levels? How long should I give the bleach before rechecking the level? I also can't seem to find my thermometer but the water is definitely warmer then 60 degrees.

Last edited:
Give the new addition of bleach 30 min to circulate and then test. Add however much bleach you need to get FC back to 12. Let circulate for 2 hours or so and test again. Then add bleach to up FC again to 12. The more often you test and add bleach to keep FC at or near 12, the sooner this SLAM will be over.

I'm a little frustrated this morning. I added additional bleach last night then waited about an hour and a half to recheck chlorine level. When I recheck I got a reading on 12 and was very happy. The pool was still slightly green but defiantly majorly improved since I began this process. I rechecked the chlorine this morning and got a reading of 1! I rechecked it and even got the same reading? The color looks the same. Is this to be expected or do you think my reading last night was not accurate?

Sun and algae both consume your chlorine and it must be replenished when that happens. Right now you have a LOT of algae so it will consume a LOT of chlorine. You have to add bleach and test often. You can't just dump it in and walk away, you will need to test often and maintain your level. This may require testing hourly at first, test the water and add chlorine to keep your FC level at 12. As the algae is killed off and the pool begins to clear you will be adding less and less bleach, and your FC level will maintain longer and longer. Letting the FC level drop for any length of time allows the algae to start regenerating again and algae grows VERY fast.

It is very important you get the FC up and keep it there. The more often it falls below SLAM level the longer this will take. You need to be stocked up on your bleach supply so you don't run out. Make sure you are testing using the 10ml sample size, this will save on reagents so you don't run low in the middle of this. Once the pool is clean you won't use much bleach at all. Not sure of your pool size but my 14k gallon uses about 32-40 oz per day to maintain the beautiful clear water.

I know you want to close it up and be done but you will have to go through this at some point and the cooler fall temps will make it much easier. Remember to keep brushing the walls and floor and use a leaf net to scoop out as much solid material as you can. Keep your filter running and backwash or clean as needed to filter out the dead algae.

I expect your water will not drop to 60 degrees until sometime in mid October. You may want to list where in Ohio. Far north and far south are a bit different regarding weather.

Hello! I'm trying to open my pool again this year. I started out with what looked like a green pond. I've been doing the slam process for two days now. My water is no longer pond green, but is still a pale green blue color and I cannot see the bottom. Any tips?
Ps I couldn't figure out how to start a new post. If anyone has any advice on how to do that!
Kristen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.