Can high FC damage equipment?

pinguy

May 30, 2015
Pennsylvania
Most of us have heard this argument against the FC/CYA ratio; FC over 4ppm will damage pool equipment. This is even included as a clause some equipment warranties. We all know this isn't true as long as there is CYA in the water.

But I'm not asking about SLAM FC levels. The situation is that I am working with a 120k gallon commercial pool that gets drained every single season. Due poor management of chlorine deliveries, we are stuck with about 80 gallons of liquid at the end of this season, and I am trying to figure out what to do with it.

The stenner pump is a bit oversized for this pool, I generally only keep it at a 1.5 or 2 to maintain 3-5FC. The dial goes all the way to 10, and it would deplete the 80 gallons in a day or two if I cranked it up. However, I could see the FC easily getting into the 40-60ppm range doing this. Could that damage any pump/equipment? There is about 40ppm CYA in the water. Alternatively, I thought about slowly diluting and draining the remainder somehow. How would you handle this?

40 to 60 ppm sounds absolutely caustic I would not do that. If you have a couple of weeks after it is closed to the public but before it is drained perhaps you could bring it up to SLAM and let it burn off slowly without being out of compliance for any health dept codes since no one will be swimming.

Or Tell everyone you know to provide an empty Clorox jug or something similar and you will fill them up for general household use.

40 to 60 ppm sounds absolutely caustic I would not do that. If you have a couple of weeks after it is closed to the public but before it is drained perhaps you could bring it up to SLAM and let it burn off slowly without being out of compliance for any health dept codes since no one will be swimming.

Or Tell everyone you know to provide an empty Clorox jug or something similar and you will fill them up for general household use.
I figured as much. I can probably get it down in about a week at SLAM levels.

I also need to purchase a chem transfer pump. If I did this and pumped it out into 5 gallon buckets, how much would I need to dilute to dispose of it in a drain?

If you are going to dispose of it SLAM and wait is the best method I think of

If you were to try to just dump it Clorox recommends 1/2 cup of 8% for a load of laundry and the average non HE machine uses 40 gallons so based on that I would say 1000:1 since most people use more than they are supposed to. You might be able to go 500:1 but your local water treatment department would not like you very much as most of them use microbes somewhere in the process of dealing wiht sewage.

I had one other though check with a local hotel they may take it off your hands if they do their own laundry or put you in touch wiht the company they use. Might even be able to get a little money for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.