Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Chlorinator--Lights Are Not On

Sep 4, 2016
Ocoee/Fl.
I have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Chlorinator that I purchased and installed 2 years ago(July 2014), to replace my old unit. It is connected to a timer for 7 hours(10am to 5pm). A few days ago I observed that the lights were not working. I cleaned the cells by disconnected the IC40 unit and using cell cleaning solution purchased from my local Pinch-A-Penny and soaking the unit for about 15 minutes. There was only slight scale build-up prior to me cleaning it but I thought cleaning it would erase the doubt that it could be a dirty scaled cell buildup to be the cause. I reconnected the IC40 unit and I performed diagnostic tests to the Power Center Box using my Multimeter: 1.) I tested the fuse by visually inspecting it and it did not show any breakage, the wire appeared intact. I then use my meter to test the fuse at the resistance setting and my meter read a complete connection(it was good) 2.) I tested to see if power was coming to the unit and my meter showed 240VAC. 3.) I tested the power from the output leads from the Transformer and it read around 27 to 28 VAC 4.)I tested the output from PCB board(red and black connector) and it read 27VDC. After performing those tests and then reconnecting the IC40 cable end to the end of the power center connector end, the IC40 unit began to work and I thought my problem was resolved.

The very next day I decided to observe my unit when the timer is scheduled to turn it on(10am) just to be sure that the problem was resolved. No can do. The lights on the IC40 is not working just like before I performed my diagnostic tests to the power center. So I decided to perform another diagnostic test on the output of the PCB board and it read 27VDC. It appears my Power Center Box is operating fine.

In the enclosed photos, the picture of the IC40 Chlorinator(left photo) was taken while the filter system is on. As you see, there are no lights on
Could the problem be my relatively new IC40 Chlorinator? Is there a shorted wire within the IC40 Chlorinator?

Attachments

• PoolFilterSystem.jpg
    PoolFilterSystem.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 48
Seems to me the problem is between the Power Supply and the IC40. If all the lights are off that would be an indication that you have no power to the SWG itself. Since you say the power supply PCB has 27 Volts DC output, then my guess would be a broken wire or connection between the power supply and the IC40.

Since it worked when you were troubleshooting it before, it sounds like an intermittent connection. I would wiggle the connector and make sure it is completely seated, the visually inspect the wire to make sure something didn't try to eat it, and then I'd wiggle the end of the wire at the SWG. end to see if you can make the light blink on.

Just to be sure... when you measured the 27 volt PCB output, you did this with the SWG connected. If not make sure the SWG is connected and try it again.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.