Fixed suction side leak now spa drains a few inches overnight

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
So when I took possession of my pool I originally had a check valve that was leaking causing the spa to drain down when the pump was off. Last weekend I has a suction side leak at my main Jandy neverlube valve that is right before the pump. This is the valve that switches the suction side from pool to spa. So I got some new gaskets and I have no air in the system now. However, now the spa drains about 3-4 inches over night again. My only thoughts are that its the diverter in the neverlube valve. not making a perfect seal. The check valve is new, so I don't know what else could be causing it. Am I on the right track? Thanks.

How is the return side Jandy valve? Jandy valves seal in three ways. The divert-er, which would seal between the pool side and the spa side, that can cause the symptom your having, if leaking. The cap oring, which can leak externally. And the stem oring(s) which can leak externally OR, in the case of the suction side, pull air, also like in your case. Jandy valves' orings will wear out at the same rate, the oring kits are cheap enough, you should replace in pairs. Don't forget the solar valve(s) too (if applicable)!

The pressure side one doesnt leak water, so I think I am good there. I replaced the stem orings and the cap oring. All I can think of now is that the diverter is leaking slightly. The reason why it didn't show before was because the suction side leak was causing the pump to lose prime so there was air in the system in that valve area so no water to leak. I contacted Jandy and they are replacing the diverter for free (lifetime warranty). If that doesnt do it, i'll replace all the seals on the other valve too.

Since I have owned this pool for almost 2 months now i am 90% there on replacing almost all orings etc... I don't think anything had been replaced since the pool was built (9 years ago.) I just like having "knowns." :)

That's correct. But it would have never had water in it when the pump was off because of the previous air leak on the outside seals if that makes sense. Now the pump doesn't lose prime anymore so there is water in the system at all times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.