First time green pool

Sorry about the delay. You should wait 30 minutes between adding different chemicals especially chlorine and acid as it can combine to make deadly fumes. Bleach should be poured in front of a return so that it doesn't pool and sit on the pool floor. Keep it up. You are on the right track now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the delay. You should wait 30 minutes between adding different chemicals especially chlorine and acid as it can combine to make deadly fumes. Bleach should be poured in front of a return so that it doesn't pool and sit on the pool floor. Keep it up. You are on the right track now :)

kcindc, thanks for the advice.

I waited more than 30 minutes and poured the bleach in front of the return by walking around the pool and pouring maybe 20oz per return.

Completed test #2 about 100 minutes after test #1:

SLAM target: 22
FC: 25

No bleach added at this time since I am over my SLAM target.

I have the pool pump running through filter, Kreepy Krauly running and I brushed the pool.

Completed test #3 about 120 minutes after test #2:

FC: 23.5

Even though i am still over my SLAM target, I added about 30oz of Wallmart Great Value 8.25% bleach to last until tomorrow morning since I haven't started the OCLR test yet.

I have the pool pump running through filter and Kreepy Krauly running.

Completed test #4 about 12 hours overnight after test #3:

Looks like I lost about FC 3 overnight based on the bleach amount I put in last night. Even though i am still over my SLAM target, I added another 30oz of Wallmart Great Value 8.25% bleach just to give me some padding over the 22. Probably will test again once I see some sun on the pool.

Pool pump through filter still running.

Completed test #5 about 2 hours after test #4:

FC: 24

This time I am not going to add any bleach since I can monitor it and I am still over my SLAM target.

Pool is getting back to normal, but not completely clear yet. P
ump through filter still running and pool brushed.
DSCN1658.jpg

Completed test #6 about 2.5 hours after test #5:

SLAM target: 22 (next SLAM target 24)
FC: 20
CC: 1

I am comfortable keeping the SLAM level around 24, so I decided to change the SLAM target to 24 since that is mostly where I end up. Adding another 65oz of Wallmart Great Value 8.25% bleach. I tested CC for the first time just to see where I am. So far so good.

Pool still looks good but not completely clear yet. P
ump through filter still running.

I have one question for the forum members. When I test the FC and swirl the solution, it will go to clear. But when it sits for a while it will go to a hint of pink. Is this my eyes playing tricks, or does it mean I need to add some more R-0871. I just realized this because I was doing the CC test and it was sitting a while while I was reading up on the CC test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Completed test #7 about 3:45 after test #6:

SLAM target: 22/24
FC: 21

I am going to add another 49oz of Wallmart Great Value 8.25% bleach to get the FC to a target of 24. The plan is to test again when the sun is down and hopefully I will still be at 22+ FC. If I am at 22+, then I'm not going to add any bleach, but will do an OCLT test overnight to see if I am getting close.

Pool still looks good and is as clear as I have seen it in a long time. Pump through filter with Kreepy Krauly still running.

You sound very close!

You are making great progress :)

Thanks for the kind comments.

At this point it looks like it is going to come down to what I think is clear water. There is nothing cloudy in the water and it looks like the condition we normally would swim in. I am planning on adding some SE to my sand filter just to see if it makes a difference. I have learned a lot from this forum so far and adding DE is just one of them. Thanks to all forum members!

DE is great! It will add sparkle to your water!!!

Once you learn the dosage to raise your psi by 1, it's a no brainer. Backwashing will remove the DE, so you have to remember to add your dosage again. I can tell within a day or two after Backwashing if I forget to re-add it. The water is still clear as a bell, but just a tad dull, (not cloudy), just meh.

DE is great! It will add sparkle to your water!!!

Once you learn the dosage to raise your psi by 1, it's a no brainer. Backwashing will remove the DE, so you have to remember to add your dosage again. I can tell within a day or two after Backwashing if I forget to re-add it. The water is still clear as a bell, but just a tad dull, (not cloudy), just meh.

Thanks. I am definitely going to try it. I think this is where my water is, "dull".

Just did my last test of the day, test #8 about 3:15 after test #7, with pool mostly in shade during this period.

I am not adding any bleach and will do an OCLT test in the morning and take some pictures.

Pump will be running all night through filter with Kreepy Krauly attched.

Smart of you to note that you made no further Chlorine additions for your baseline. I have seen too many people make an addition and then not get a final reading a half-hour or more after that add for their OCLT baseline. That throws the whole thing off.

Best of luck!!!!

Smart of you to note that you made no further Chlorine additions for your baseline. I have seen too many people make an addition and then not get a final reading a half-hour or more after that add for their OCLT baseline. That throws the whole thing off.

Best of luck!!!!

Thanks. I try to anticipate the conditions and plan for it. Today I will probably do the same again, planning toward the last reading at night.

I just did my first test of the day and first OCLT, test #9 about 11 hours after test #8.

FC: 22.5
CC: 0
OCLT: 1

It looks like I passed all the SLAM tests, just need to make sure the water is clear to pass the test.

I am going to maintain the higher SLAM level during the day by adding
another 24oz of Wallmart Great Value 8.25% bleach now, and at least one more test later in the day before the final test.

Pump will be running, aerator open, and Kreepy Krauly attached.
DSCN1661.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.