New pool. Help!

Jul 12, 2016
Prosperity, SC
Brand new salt water vinyl liner pool. It is 19,000 gallons. I am waiting on my real test kit but could use some advice on where to start now until it arrives. I work out of town so I need to do whatever tomorrow before I leave. Here are my reading off of a strip test. Total hardness is very low, total chlorine is at 20, free chlorine is at 5, pH is 6.2, total alkalinity is 0, cyanuric acid is 0. What do we need to do to get the water right? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree you need to get your ph right. Walmart has a small hth drop kit that tests ph that is used for seasonal pools if you dont want to wait and is considered reliable for all tests. A pool store may have a ph only test for cheap

You can manage the ph from test strips, kinda. I found they were pretty close when in the range of the ph printed on the kit, but once outside of that range all tests were unreliable

This is not what I would call a recomended process and normally I would say wait on your test kit
If you use the test strips to adjust ph I would add half of what poolmath calls for, test in half an hour, add again and adjust slowly to get in the acceptable range. You may get big swings as we dont know what your TA is.
I would not rely on the test strips for any other parameters

You use muriatic acid to lower ph,
To raise ph either 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster or ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster

Poolmath is at the top of the page to calculate what you need

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.