Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar powering pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar powering pool

I have searched the topics and seen alot of people using solar to heat their pool but what about powering their pool? Has anyone set up a solar system to power the pump filter etc? Electricity just skyrocketed here and it is costing me 50$+ a month to run my pool. Was wondering if there is an easy way to set up a free standing panel to power pool? I don't know anything about this, just starting the research. Thanks
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar powering pool

I'd check these guys out: http://www.etaengineering.com/pool_pump/intro.shtml

You are probably talking $6000 plus installation, and it won't run your Intelliflo. It will run a DC pump during daylight hours only. You can leave your existing pump hooked up as a supplement or for operating the cleaner.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Solar power for the pump is not usually a good tradeoff, it usually ends up costing more in the long run. If you live in an area with large tax incentives it can sometimes work out, but even then it is not clear if you will break even or not.

Getting a two speed pump, or a variable speed pump, is almost always a better way to save money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion

Getting a two speed pump, or a variable speed pump, is almost always a better way to save money.
    +1
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the expensive intelliflo pump which is variable speed. It was supposed to be cost efficient but with the prices soaring by 40% I'm looking for alternatives.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

With an IntelliFlo, you should run it on low speed for long periods of time to save money. It can't get your electrical usage down to zero, but it can do way better than a single speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School