New to Adjusting Levels

Gardenmom

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2016
Syracuse, NY
Ok. Being new to all this, I am trying to understand. For 30 years, I have used the pucks, without many problems. Two years ago we had the liner replaced and refilled pool. Recently, My granddaughter complained of burning eyes, which began my journey to TFPC. I threw out the strips and got a Taylor 2005C kit, becoming a chemist! Still learning... So I took a sample to my local pool store to see if my numbers agreed with theirs. Here are the results:
Theirs- Their ideal???
CYA-151 30-200
TC -14.3 1-3
FC -13.9 1-3
pH - 7.6 7.4-7.6
TA -128 --
Adj TA-83 125-150 what is this?
TH- 90 175-225

Mine-
CYA-130(diluted test)
TC -15*
FC -15*
CC -0
pH -7.6
TA -150
CH -110, is this aka TH?
I noticed their values are different from what I have read on pool school and in the Taylor literature. I haven't come across adjusted TA. Should I be adjusting? Thank you for helping me!
* added chlorine to reach higher value due to high CYA. Will be doing a partial drain at seasons end-in about 2 weeks here in Central NY.

Last edited:
Gardenmom, I moved your question from an old thread to your own new one as I think your situation is a little different and probably best to keep everything linked to you only. :) First off - congrats on obtaining one of the recommended test kits. :goodjob: Everything you do from here starts with that test kit. In fact, don't let the pool store test results or advise confuse you. Use your kit only please.

Now here's a few basic tips to hopefully clear things up a bit:
- Yes, your CYA is over-the-top high. The tabs/pucks and/or pool store bags of shock do that quickly. That's why you are trying to keep the FC higher as well to compensate. Unfortunately, that becomes a losing battle at some point. It is hard to guess how much FC to maintain when the CYA is that high, and of course when FC is over 10, you can't get an accurate pH reading. Your season is coming to an end soon, but I would strongly urge you to consider a large water exchange. You definitely want that CYA at least under 90, and since your pool in not a salt pool (SWG), you probably want a CYA of around 40-50 ideally. So keep that in mind.
- Your TA is a bit elevated, but that's the least of your worries right now. Once the CYA is controlled, then we can help with everything else.
- CH is your hardness (calcium). Total hardness can sometimes account for other factors, but basically about the same thing from the pool store. Just focus on your own CH test with the K-2006 test kit. In your vinyl pool, CH is usually not a concern unless it gets REALLY high.

As a TFP follower, always refer to the TFP recommended levels and charts - most of which are in my signature below. Those, along with your test kit, will serve you well. Make sure to stop using the tabs/pucks and use only regular liquid bleach to maintain your FC (no side effects on CYA). If you have anymore questions about that or how to use the Pooolmath Calculator to figure out dosage amounts, let us know.

If you notice, your results and the pool stores are fairly close (at least within a fair margin of error), so your pool store is run by semi-intelligent people.

Now, their recommended ranges are well out of the norm, so you can totally ignore that part of it.

Keep testing yourself with the knowledge that you can use that store as a back-up if you happen to run out of some reagents and they shouldn't screw you up too badly.

Please verify whether your testkit is a Taylor K2005C or a K2006C.

The K2005 can only measure FC accurately to 10ppm. The K2006 can measure FC accurately to 50+ppm. If you're using the K2005, how are you getting an FC reading of 15?

If using a K2005, you can easily add the FAS/DPD test to be able to accurately read higher FC levels.
TFTestkits.net - FAS/DPD Test

Thank you for your help! Yes, the staff at the pool store was helpful, and knowledgeable in that they ( quietly) agreed with my tossing the pucks and using only chlorine!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Taylor 2005C. I use the diluted test if the red looks off. I am considering adding the FAS-DPD for next year as our season is coming to an end in a few weeks. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.