Rust Stains before Replaster

KJSL

Aug 24, 2016
ROSSMOOR
I've been a soCal pool homeowner since 1994. The pool was built in 1980. In 2000, we had a fiberglass/epoxy surface put on top of the original plaster.

Before I proceed with this email, I only somewhat understand the technical aspects that I'm presenting.

Yesterday, the fiberglass and the original plaster were removed.

Of course, I was reminded of serious rust stains coming through the cement. They were present when we bought the house and started to show up as the fiberglass was breaking down. I've included a picture.
view

My smart brother-in-law believes the stains are from the rusting rebar and something should be done before the new plaster is installed. He's not doing the work, but guiding me through the conversation with my construction company. He believes there must be some kind of fix including a sealant. We're at least a week away from the new plaster.

At this point, I haven't asked the company for their thoughts. I'm all about collecting data to help me with decisions.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to those that support this forum. It is truly a gift.

Your picture did not come through.

There are twe schools of thought. One is that the rebar will always rust somewhat so leave it alone. The other is to do a root canal and remove setoriated rebar and replace. That can be very expensive.

To me it depends on how bad the problem is and what's the budget. Yes not fully fixing it may limit the life of the pool, but do you care about ten or fifteen years from now.

Talk to the contractor and review the budget.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.