Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal Free and Solar Blanket

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal Free and Solar Blanket

Picked up some Metal Free today and the person at the store cautioned me about getting it on my deck or coping. I was going to dump it in tonight, but wondered if it's okay to put the solar blanket back on the pool straight away. Anyone know? Thanks.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal Free and Solar Blanket

I did a Google search of the site and could find no references to the combination....

Sorry, I have no idea....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you need Metal Free indeed? Have you had metal stains? The pool store's mission is to sell you as much chems as possible, most of them you don't need.
    Anyway, it's a chelating agent and after you dump it you can put your solar cover on.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

It can cause a drop in pH and that might be what they were referring to. Actually, it's not the best choice of a sequesterant, being based on EDTA. The HEDP/phosphonate based sequesterants such as the Jack's Magic line, Proteam Metal Magic, Sequa Sol (to name a few) are much more effective.