Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks...

1. Back To Top    #1

Ducks...

Edited to remove profanity. Please don't evade the profanity filter - MikeInTN

I'm sorry, but I just have to rant to somebody who I know will understand my distress...

My patience has ended with this duck that has called my pool his lounge. First time they came I thought it was cute. Then I noticed the duck poo. Poo on the deck. Poo in my pool. Waaay too much duck poo for my taste.

So I began by running them off. Then only the male returned, so I started throwing things at him. Then yelling and more throwing...it ain't working.

Time to break out the BB gun...

...sayonara quacker...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ducks...

I do feel your pain. I had a pair showing up as well. Male disappeared, and finally ran the female off. They can sure make a big mess in a little bit of time, for sure.

Make sure your neighbors don't see you when you apply the pellet gun method. In some yellow-bellied sissyfrassed communities, pellet guns are a no-no, and can be considered hunting ducks out of season.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same problem. Same pair for the last 5 years. The dog doesn't even scare them off. Threw 3 beach balls in the pool. They don't mind them either. My wife went outside the other morning and 6 squatted around the spa. Could of swore they asked her when the spa was going to fired up.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen some pretty impressive videos of these things in action. Might be a solution?

5. Back To Top    #5

pea shooter UPGRADE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

Get some cheap, heavy fishing line and run it back and forth above the pool in a zig-zag pattern. Connect it to trees, fences or whatever. If you can put it high enough, you don't have to worry about walking into it.

It makes the ducks feel like they are trapped, because they know there is something up there that could keep them from flying away if they are scared.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2009 ... lunch.html Just a suggestion, mind you...in case the duck had a sudden attack while swimming in your pool. *walking away, whistling*. 8) 8) If you have a pool, I think it should be "Open Season" all year.....
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

i bought thgis big plastic owl from Lowes I leave it hanging off a tree so it moves in the wind. I see no ducks anymore and even the birds are gone for the most part.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the big plastic owl on the top rail. Doesn't help. Maybe it's the movement that works.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Ditto - every year for the last 5 years we have the same pair return around late march, and then by mid-may they are gone.

But what a mess.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    pea shooter UPGRADE
    HAH! I like it I like it!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

12. Back To Top    #12

[attachment=0:1er8orm3]lil-guard-duck.jpg[/attachment:1er8orm3]
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

plastic owl helped us....i did move it around the deck every couple days.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

14. Back To Top    #14

Be careful, a duck is protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty of 1918 and they don't qualify as a nuisance. You should contact your nearest Texas Parks and Wildlife Office and see what they say first before you try to pellet it.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

go to ducksolution.com.au I sell this product in my pool shop in Australia. It works really well. Maybe someone should start selling it over your way. Michael

16. Back To Top    #16

maybe a modified version of this might help?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    [attachment=0:2jhbixld]lil-guard-duck.jpg[/attachment:2jhbixld]

A bbgun is overkill.

When I had this problem a rubber band gun was enough to drive them away without hurting them in any permanent fashion.

The dog worked even better- they really didnt feel like sharing the pool with him.

Uncle Dave
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand Zebrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Solar Panels/Barracuda G3/ BBB

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Davegvg
    When I had this problem a rubber band gun was enough to drive them away without hurting them in any permanent fashion.
    They must grow 'em different out there, cuz ain't no rubber band gonna deter our ducks! The problem is not chasing them away, but keeping them away. Dogs are only a solution if they live outside. Mine don't.

However, last year I might have stumbled onto a less drastic solution. I will try it again this year and report back with results.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    I've seen some pretty impressive videos of these things in action. Might be a solution?
    I think that's a great idea
    15,000 gallon in ground plaster with hot tub. Chlorine Pool with Ozinator. 2 Skimmers
    SmartFilter 450/550 4 cartridge filter.
    2.5 HP Emmerson Main pump
    Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 HP pump for water feature.
    Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner (LOVE IT!)
    3/4 Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 booster pump for Hayward Phantom cleaner (no longer used)

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Quote Originally Posted by Davegvg
    However, last year I might have stumbled onto a less drastic solution. I will try it again this year and report back with results.
    Beez, Please share what you stumbled onto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast