Variable Speed Pool Pumps

Aug 15, 2016
Dagsboro/Delaware
New to this site,and hoping to gain some knowledge from all the posts. I have been doing some research on the Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pumps,as I want to upgrade my current pump. There are seven different models of these pumps and I need help determining which would be best for my pool. Any help would be appreciated.

18'X40' Inground pool (approx.24,000 Gal.)
Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter (150 gal. min)
Pentair Intellichlor IC 40 chlorine generator
Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 HP 1.5" piping

Bill,

I recommend that Intelliflo 3 HP pump. It was designed to be a VS pump. Don't let the 3 HP label scare you away, as that is the maximum HP, at 3450 RPM. Most people with this pump run it at around 1,000 RPM. In my case, because I also have the IC40, I need to run mine at about 1,200 RPM to ensure the flow switch is closed. At that speed the pump only uses 170 Watts.

I suspect that you have your current pump and SWG on the same timer. When the pump runs, the SWG runs. You can't really do this with the Intelliflo, because it has to have continual 220 volts applied. The pump comes on using the built in timer/program. This will mean that you just have to make sure that the timer, running the SWG, is synchronized with the pumps built in timer, so that the SWG does not come on if the pump is not running.

I have then running at two rent houses which both have 1.5 inch plumbing and both have been working great for a couple of years so far. The 3 HP model comes with 2" plumbing but easy enough to reduce down. Make sure whatever pump you buy, that you get the recommended unions to connect them to the plumbing.

Update.. here is a little more info..

You do not want the Variable Flow model, and you do not want the VS+ SVRS model as it has a higher required RPM at the low end.
I would also not go with the Intelliflo L1 or L2 as they have already been discontinued.

I'd go for either the original one P/N 011018 (If any are left) or the new Intelliflo 2 VS, P/N 011055. The main difference between the old one and the new one is that the new one has a detachable head that you can rotate so that you can see the controls better.

of course I'm saying all this assuming that your equipment pad is set up for 220 volt operation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

+1 to that. I love my Intellifo VS pump. I run mine at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.