Brand new member, long time reader : )

Aug 14, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello everyone,

I live in Jacksonville Florida, so a pool is an absolute must, either visiting friends pools, or having your own. I put in a small 16x48 Intex ultra frame in May of this year. My 6 year old is a pretty good swimmer now, so it was not an issue. As she grows and continues to perfect her swimming skill, the pool will also grow. I have already performed 1 1/2 drain and fills. The most recent was due to an uncontrollable algae bloom after a week long vacation, figured 80 ounces of chlorine would last the 7 days, nope. Anyway, Pinch a Penny was my go-to source at first, but it felt that the water was just getting over "Chemicalized". They would tell me to pour 1 quart of acid in, wait an hour, then pour a half jug of chlorine (3 gallon jug), and float the stabilizer tabs - this is when my water was already sparkly clean? Anyway, bought a test kit and began monitoring myself, if anyone reads this PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ON YOUR FAVORITE OR BEST TEST KIT, I am considering purchasing the Taylor K-2006 tomorrow, unless someone recommends something better with personal experience. I have a bunch to learn, and it seems I'm putting 2-3 cups of chlorine into the pool daily, IS THIS NORMAL? I generally keep the chlorine around 2 PPM reading - on my test kit. This site is a great resource for information - THANK YOU

Welcome PLC_PGMR :) Glad you came out of lurkdom to say hi.

As for the test kit, the one that is the best buy on the market for us is the TF-100. It contains more reagents (for more tests) of the individual elements you test the most. When folks have problems and they order the other recommended test kit (the Taylor K-2006) they tend to run out of reagents sooner and have to reorder.

You can buy either at TFTestkits.net They ship fast out of NC so you could prob have it this week if you order tonight.

The Speed Stir device is an extra toy that just speeds up testing and no one has *ever* said they regret buying it.

When you get your test kit please give us your test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Some reading --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

+ 1 on the TF100 and +2 (if you can do that) on the speed stir. It not only speeds up testing, but in my opinion, makes them more accurate.

I also like the Sample Sizer, but that is something you don't need unless you have OCD, like me, and just can't get the water sample to be exactly on the line. :brickwall:

Thanks,

Jim R.