scaling in newly plastered pool

Aug 10, 2016
Philadelphia
I just had my pool plastered and they handed me a "things to do" list that looked like I needed a degree in Chemistry to handle it. Needless to say I did something wrong and now my lovely blue plaster has a coating of white scaling on it. I added a gallon of muriatic acid and tried brushing after about an hour and it had zero perceptible effect. I'm going back home today to try again but if this doesn't work what can I do?

Also - the pool guy told me that I need to wait two days after adding a gallon of muriatic acid before I could swim again - it's about a 20,000 gallon pool.

Welcome to TFP!

You will need a good test kit to take care of your pool. But, it is worth the effort. First, fixing the scaling will add a decade or more to the life of your plaster. And your water will be amazing.

Order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. once you get that we can really get to work.

For now lower your PH to 7.2 and brush every day.

Once you get your test kit we will lower your CSI to -0.8 or -0.9 to dissolve the scale. Then, once that is fixed keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale in the future. PoolMath, link above, will give your your CSI number after you enter all your test results.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.