PH keeps rising

HillMA

Jul 7, 2016
Boston, MA
Can someone help me? All my levels seem to be normal, but my PH keeps rising to 8.0 or higher every couple of days.
Pool has been crystal clear since I found this site, learned how to slam and got the CC to 0. Haven't had any issues except the PH.
Currently pool levels are:
CYA -30
TA-180
PH-8.0
FC-.5
Is this normal for it to keep going this high?
Thanks

Looks like your TA is a bit elevated which will allow pH to rise faster. You could use some help from the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Try lowering that TA down to around 80 or so and see how that works for you.

Also, if your FC is truly 0.5, that's too low. You should increase that ASAP to about 4-5ppm to prevent an algae bloom from starting. Hope that helps.

Looks like your TA is a bit elevated which will allow pH to rise faster. You could use some help from the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Try lowering that TA down to around 80 or so and see how that works for you.

Also, if your FC is truly 0.5, that's too low. You should increase that ASAP to about 4-5ppm to prevent an algae bloom from starting. Hope that helps.

I thought I should keep FC at 2 or below as that is what it said in the Taylor kit. Is 4-5 more recommended for me because it takes into consideration the CYA? So 4-5 is ok to swim in? I will add a gallon right now. I have kept it at 2 or under since I ended my slamming over a month ago. I don't want to go through that again! :)

Sorry, but one other question I forgot to ask, I added my sodium bisulfate to get the PH down this morning. About 2 hours ago. Is it safe to add my gallon of chlorine now or should I wait?

Yes, please follow the levels listed on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. We always balance FC with the current CYA as they work together. The water is safe to swim in as long as you don't exceed the SLAM/Shock FC level based on your current CYA. :swim:

- - - Updated - - -

You can add the bleach now.

Does this chart make sense to you? Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If not please ask questions.

I only referred to that when I was slamming. I haven't looked at it since. Was going off the Taylor Kit pamphlet. Yes that answers my FC question thanks for pointing that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please follow the levels listed on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. We always balance FC with the current CYA as they work together. The water is safe to swim in as long as you don't exceed the SLAM/Shock FC level based on your current CYA. :swim:

- - - Updated - - -

You can add the bleach now.

Thanks for your help. I will do that and take care of the TA and see if that helps. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.