Sep 27, 2015
Middle Musquodoboit, Nova Scotia Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
BB
Our pool is an inground 13'x35' with 20 000 gallons (we use 85 000 liters) of water. We have a sand filter and chlorinate with pucks in the skimmer. Pool has a heater and we keep the temperature at 76-78 degrees. For the past three years we have had trouble with copper staining on the vinyl liner and steps. After many hours of research and calls we discovered that the problem was caused by the Algaesolve 2250 product we were using. This year we solved the copper problem using IPG Metaban and a CUlater bag in the pump basket. But this required keeping the Chlorine at 2ppm or less. A different type of Algae Treatment containing no copper is now being used weekly. For three weeks our pool was pristine!
However - a very hot summer caused the water to evaporate below the skimmer line so last Saturday we had 4000 litres added to the pool. On Sunday it was cloudy so I added several (5 or 6) litres of 10% liquid chlorine left over from opening in May. On Monday I took a sample for testing and it shows 0 chlorine 0 FC Ph 6.4 TA 40 CH 150 Stabilizer 0 Phosphate 1000 and Shock Treatment 0. The pool company instructions were to add 9 kg of Alkalinity Plus ( I only had 5 litres so that's what I put) distributed over the pool surface. 2litres of Phosphate remover liquid were poured along the pools edges, then 1200 grams (1.2kg) of Shock Plus were premixed and added.
Today the pool is still cloudy and when we backwashed and rinsed a lot of pink slime was found in the pump basket and in the skimmer basket. I read in an old thread that this is actually a bacterium of the genus Methylobacteriuma. So slamming the pool will be necessary to get rid of this nasty pink slime?

The only test kit I have is Chlorine and Ph reagents or test strips which have TA and CH, I think.
Tonight the Chlorine appears to be at about 0.5 and the Ph at 6.8.
Hope someone can help.
Barb

Welcome to TFP BB,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your pool. I think the main issue is that you can't keep the chlorine level near zero and not expect to get algae and a cloudy pool.

I'm not familiar with all of the "Pool Store" products you have put in your pool, so I'll see if I can get one of our chemical experts to give you a reply.

I just wanted to say welcome and ask you about the name of the city you live in... If you are in "Middle" Musquodoboit, does that mean there is also an "Upper" and Lower Musquodoboit?

While you wait for one of our experts to reply, may I suggest that you read "Pool School" to see how we recommend taking care of a pool without wasting money at the Pool Store. (Link at the top of this page)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, the pink slime, aka pink algae, is a bacteria. Yes, it can be killed by following the SLAM Process process. You will need to find a Taylor K-2006 test kit. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

We are not fans of algaecide and phosphate remover cost a lot of money and don't do a lot for your pool. Alkalinity plus is just baking soda. More here on pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Do a little reading in Pool School,
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Unfortunately test kits cost a bit more in Canada, but you absolutely need one to have a trouble free pool. We suffer the same higher price here in Aus. But so be it. Attached below is Lowry's order form (the company which has the monopoly in Canada).

The K-2006 kit costs about $198 and I recommend you get an extra 10 g bottle of R-0870 DPD Powder ($28) and an extra 60 ml bottle of R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent ($40). The K-2006 is great for pH testing as well, although you might be able to get along with a HTH 4in1 drop-based kit for that, but to keep it all together, I would also order a 60 ml bottle of R-0004 pH Indicator Solution ($18).

If you have a way to receive goods within the USA, you can cut the cost in half by buying a TF100 plus XL option TFTestkits.net

I don't sell test kits! But I do know you'll save back the cost by avoiding the pool $tore

Attachments

• LowryCanadaResidentialOrderForm2016.pdf
    184.2 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.