DuPont Restore splashed into pool, what to do?

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Am having slate around pool cleaned & sealed. Contractor using product Dupont Restore.
Not much but some splashes into the pool.
Contains
phosphoric acid
glycolic acid
alcohol ethoxylate

Called distributor and their tech support said we know nothing about pools. Said I should call a doctor. Huh?

So is a little splash in bad?

It's fine. The glycolic acid and alcohol ethoxylate will break down from chlorine exposure. You do need to be careful around the pool though - a splash is ok but running off that stuff into the pool is no good. So tell the contractor to be more mindful.

I'm no expert but I'd try poison control and try to get a hold of the products MSDS on line.
Less than a gallon ?? Less than half a gallon ??

I'd sure leave the filter going 24/7 for now.

Edit: MSDS - - > Google

Just to be a bit more specific, the glycolic acid is the only component that should concern you because it can breakdown in water and form oxalic acid which is toxic IN LARGE QUANTITIES (causes kidney failure due to stone formation). HOWEVER, the amount of GA in this cleaning product is 1-5% based on the MSDS and the product is typically diluted 1:1 for heavy cleaning application. So if some splashed into the pool, the GA would be heavily diluted and not to worrisome.

As I said, tell the contractor to be careful. You might need to cover the pool while they work.

FYI - DryTreat Eff-Erayza is a better product to use around pools as it is urea hydrogen chloride based which is easily broken down in pool water...

I'm no expert but I'd try poison control and try to get a hold of the products MSDS on line.
Less than a gallon ?? Less than half a gallon ??

I'd sure leave the filter going 24/7 for now.

Edit: MSDS - - > Google

called local poison control > they only have info on the product out of the bottle, not dilute in pool
gotta be < ½ gal
will read MSDA
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be a bit more specific, the glycolic acid is the only component that should concern you because it can breakdown in water and form oxalic acid which is toxic IN LARGE QUANTITIES (causes kidney failure due to stone formation). HOWEVER, the amount of GA in this cleaning product is 1-5% based on the MSDS and the product is typically diluted 1:1 for heavy cleaning application. So if some splashed into the pool, the GA would be heavily diluted and not to worrisome.

As I said, tell the contractor to be careful. You might need to cover the pool while they work.

FYI - DryTreat Eff-Erayza is a better product to use around pools as it is urea hydrogen chloride based which is easily broken down in pool water...

so informed contractor and he seems to be doing well
also showed him printout on Eff-Erayza

product also contains phosphoric acid? what about that one?

See these links -
Dry-Treat | HANAFINN Eff-Erayzaâ„¢
http://www.drytreat.com/assets/pdf/SDS/SDS_EFF-ERAYZA_USA.pdf

It's 50% urea hydrogen chloride (urea with a hydrogen chloride acid adduct) so it is an acidic based cleaner designed specifically to remove efflorescence. The HCl gives it low pH and the urea acts as a chelating agent for different divalent metals (Ca2+, Mg2+, Fe2+/3+, etc). HCl has no effect on pools and the urea will be oxidized (slowly) by chlorine to chlorourea and eventually broken down by sunlight UV.

I think contractor did well with the Restore.
Next he sealed with Stonetech Enhancer Pro. This is organic so I guess did not mix with the water.
A few splashes floated like transparent leaves and wound up in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.