Olympic Pool

The water is both murky and green, symptoms of a rampant algae bloom. Either incompetence or an equipment malfunction. I'm guessing the latter but we'll never know for sure. It's anyone's guess what putrid cocktail of chemicals they've dumped into it overnight to try to clear it up.

Ghastly.

My money's on copper. I can't exactly imagine them under chlorinating prior to a major event. But I can picture them shocking the daylights out of it overnight...

Okay, in the UK sun, there was this rather amusing passage:

WTH? Where to start on that one, eh? We should invite the aquatics peeps to open a thread ;)
"Help, i have a major international event in an hour and my pool just turned green!"

Mods will be on the look out for new users from Brasil...

My first thoughts were an excessive amount of copper coupled with a pH issue. If the water still "passed" their criteria for being sanitized, a metals issue is much more likely than an algae bloom, especially that severe overnight.

However, when I saw some footage of the warm-up/cool-down pool last night, that water, while still blue looked rather dull and murky.

I noticed they had a dark blue safety cover over it during the water polo so it wouldn't look so bad in the background.

Loved swampwoman's comment - Help, major event in an hour, haha. Then we could paste a few reading links, ask them to fill out their signature and order a test kit, haha. Then ask them, "so what's your target date for rescheduling the Olympics?"

Seems weird to me that they wouldn't drain and refill as soon as they saw the issue. Surely they'd have enough pull around town to get new water. They could use TFP's seasonal/temporary pools method and be back up in a day. There must be enough visiting politicians to DIY a hot-air to water heat exchanger.

Did it really turn green?!?!?! :eek:

That's crazy! When we were watching diving, I commented to my husband that the water didn't look that clear and you could hardly see the divers when they went in on the underwater camera angles. We figured it was a just a cloudy camera! Yikes! I thought the pool used for the swimming looked much clearer though.

That thing is going to be a chemical cauldron as they try to quickly clear it :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's pretty bad that the athletes are required to use these facilities. Too much of the process of choosing a home city is based on politics and they completely ignore the responsibility that comes along with it. These people train and work hard to get themselves to this stage, dream of it for most of their lives, and finally get there and are forced to make a decision between safety and sport. Should never happen!! If I were one of the athletes I would ask the officials to jump in and swim around for a while and see how "fine" they think it is. If this is how the pool looks, I can only imagine what the natural aquatic competition areas are like. I think I heard something about a kayaker hitting a couch and capsizing. Such an embarrassment to what should be a great stage for world unity and peaceful competition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

There is a Wal-mart in Brazil. Someone needs to get down there fast and buy ALL the beach. Check the laundry area AND the pool supplies.

The Olympic water polo pool has turned green, too

Now it appears the pool next to it is turning green as well. My guess says they use chlorine gas at the facility combined with UV and they ran into an issue with the chlorine tank. Somebody forgot to turn a valve, the tank ran out of gas, pump had an issue are all guesses but I do know this......somebodies likely out a job.

I don't blame algae or copper here, I blame incompetence. Looking at some of the living quarters conditions, I can't believe the pools are actually even holding water. You are correct Leebo, somebody is out of a job, too bad it's not the ioc organiers. I apologize for the rants, but I was once a kid who dreamed about the Olympics, and this kind of thing was never part of those dreams.

I guess they don't want to come out and say they messed up, sanitation was not maintained and are pointing the unknowing public toward an fairly innocuous chemical situation rather than the one that would get them in hot water... pun intended.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.