TA level for SWG

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I just had a salt water generator installed and I'm in the process of adjusting my water (mostly adding salt, of course, and raising the CYA) before turning it on tomorrow. :-D

My TA has drifted down during the summer from 110 in May to 80 last week, but today it's back up to 90. Pool School recommends a range of 60-80. My question is, which is the most desirable end of that range to be on to best control pH? Is it raising it that stabilizes pH or lowering it?

FC 3.5 (going to raise that to 5-6 later today)
CC 0
pH 7.6
CH 325
TA 90
CYA 40 (already working on raising that to 70-80)
Salt 2400 (added 100 lbs. since that reading)

Generally speaking, if the TA is higher it allows the pH to rise easier/quicker, so if you have that problem you'd want to be on the lower end on the spectrum. That should help in pH stability and also help lessen the chance of scale on your equipment. Hope that helps.

I had the same issue. TA of like 180 and PH constantly through the roof, and I couldn't understand it. Finally did some reading on TA and found out its opposite of what you think.

My first yr with pool had constant problem with PH rising to quick. My TA was kept around 110. Once I started lowering my TA and found the pool's sweet spot my PH rise has become a lot more manageable. My pool seems to like 85-90 TA. Your may be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.