Backfill? Retaining Wall?

Aug 5, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Our above ground is currently getting installed. We plan on extending our deck to the pool, but what do we put in between pool and edge of slope/dirt? The walls are galvanized steel walls, so I don't know if dirt piled up to it would be okay or not? Should we build a retaining wall in between? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 75
I have a similar situation, only my pool is at the bottom of a 17' grade and next to a swamp - in a flood zone. My recommendation is to put a french drain around it. Use perforated drain pipe with a scrim cover such as is used for septic fields and carry the water away down slope. Back filling with a layer of sand or crushed stone (unless it voids the pool warranty) will help keep the drain working and not fill up with mud.

I just finished backfilling mine in that exact same situation. I didn't do the french drain, as suggested above, but my yard has a good slope and I don't think it will be an issue in the end. If I see any issues, I may add the drain later to help route any water around it.

For what it's worth... My installer told me it wouldn't be an issue to back fill. I think the warranty even allows backfill up to 2 ft(probably depends on pool). I was skeptical of believing just him though, so I researched online and found it to be mostly a non-issue. The only thing people suggest is to make sure the water drains around the pool and doesn't sit against it or wash under.

Heck, there's people that fully bury above ground pools...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.