Help Please

Aug 2, 2016
Decaturville
Sorry for the length of this but going in circles to find answers. I got an excellent price on a 18×48 round Proseries pool. I'm a middle ages woman and I've been putting it together with no instructions. Had no idea what it would look like. I've now got it up. First I found a slit at the seam. I only paid 75.00 for entire outfit...so no room to complain. Yet. I tried to patch it best I could but from the information I've sourced online...a tear in the seams are very normal on this pool. I suspect I won't put it back up after I use it...if I get to that point.
I started filling my pool and putting in the skimmer and pump. I discovered the wall gasket and nut was not with it. So now I'm waiting for it to come in. Between this part/ patch kit /and 20x 20 heavy tarp...I've spent more than the cost...but still below a new price. I'm running water into my pool still...it's the 3rd day. I expect my parts today. My question...how do I prepare the water? Owner included 2 bags of shock chemicals and another hind to put in a float. This is my first pool of this size and I am in a very rural area. To start...how do I measure the water contact.? Such as pH balence etc? Can someone recommend a place online to purchase them and when I need to add them. I'm afraid since I'm filling it slow...adding a bit each day until I get my part....that algae can set in. Should I pour a little house hold bleach in it? If parts are here today...it will be at least late tomorrow before I get it completely full.
Thank you and I'd appreciate any hints you have. I've realized I'm a bit to old to do this...without how to instructions. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'll keep this initial advise brief as to not overwhelm you, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask:
- Obtain the "proper" test kit. That's #1. We recommend either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below in my sig).
- You need some stabilizer to increase CYA to a minimum of "30".
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
- Yes, add a little regular bleach to increase FC to about 3 ppm. As above, you can use the Poolmath Calculator to help you with the dosage amount.
- PH will need to be in the mid 7 range. Try to never let pH rise above 7.8.

As you can see, the test kit is very important. A couple other things:
- Please add your state to your location. It helps us a lot.
- In your area, where do you get your water (city or well)? Well water often has iron which presents some challenges in a pool.
- Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Don’t forget to include your test kit in the signature. :)

Very nice to have you with us.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'll keep this initial advise brief as to not overwhelm you, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask:
- Obtain the "proper" test kit. That's #1. We recommend either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below in my sig).
- You need some stabilizer to increase CYA to a minimum of "30".
- Yes, add a little regular bleach to increase FC to about 3 ppm. As above, you can use the Poolmath Calculator to help you with the dosage amount.
- PH will need to be in the mid 7 range. Try to never let pH rise above 7.8.

As you can see, the test kit is very important. A couple other things:
- Please add your state to your location. It helps us a lot.
- In your area, where do you get your water (city or well)? Well water often has iron which presents some challenges in a pool.
- Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Don’t forget to include your test kit in the signature. :)

Very nice to have you with us.
Thank you. This is the first time I've used this app. I've got to play with it a bit. I've not found where I can edit my signature. Please be patient with me. I'm in Tennessee and I do have city water. I see my first step is to get a chemical kit ordered. Our nearest Walmart is 40 miles. I think on line will be my best way.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Phone app - got it! No problem. They can be a little tricky. For the test kit, best is to order on-line from TFTestkits.net. You'll get a quick delivery at a good price. Plus, save your gas. :) I always recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir. It's a great value for the $$ and will last a good long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.