Will a copper spillway add copper to my pool water?

I have a new gunite pool with two copper spillways on one end. The pool has been in service for about 30 days now. It also has a SWG and the salt was just added last week. I have two white dogs that swim in the pool and noticed this week they were getting a green tint in their hair. I have a weekly pool service from the company that installed the pool. Since I just noticed this happening since the salt was added, I am wondering if copper from the spillways could be adding copper to the pool water. If so, what can I do to prevent them from becoming green again? I know it would be great for St. Patrick's day, but the rest of the year they look much better white.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, especially if the PH is low. It will also stain the pool surface, water and fingernails too. The problem with putting copper in the pool is there is no way to get it out. Which is why we advise not to use copper mineral systems or copper algaecides. Jacks magic sells metal sequestrants that will temporarily bind with the copper but it has to be added regularly. CUlator sells packs that claim to absorb copper but the results are questionable.

More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.