Got back from vacation to a green, cloudy mess

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
I was away for 3 weeks for vacation and left family members to take care of the pool during that time. Everything was going fine it seemed from speaking to them through 2 weeks however there was one day that there were several other relatives over swimming and I think that's where things went wrong. Chemicals were not added after all those people were in and it went South.

Came home to a Mediterranean Sea in the backyard.

Current readings are:
FC: 4.0
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
AK: 70
CYA: 70-80

Now, I realize that I may have to drain the pool due to the cya problem which I am dreading because I probably won't fill it back up this late into the summer. Is this the only route to take?

The problem here is that the pH was high for awhile, algae grew, and the cya was too high and there was never enough chlorine in there to keep up.

I need some advice please. Thanks.

You can do a SLAM to get it clear again. It will take more chlorine with the CYA that high but it IS doable if your wallet can take the hit after the vacy.

Here is the link to the SLAM:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The most important part of the SLAM is M=maintain as in maintain the FC at SLAM level for your CYA. You will find the FC/CYA chart inside the SLAM link.

Let us know what you decide to do. Anyway you can make the family members that played in the pool help with the chlorine? :rolleyes:

:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

OH and take and post a pic of what it looks like so we have an idea what you are dealing with.

I've decided to just run a high chlorine pool for the rest of the summer because I don't see the benefit to re-draining this late and wasting money on my water bill to refill.

The past few days the water has maintained its color however today there is a HUGE difference in the water quality and I can once again see the bottom. Things are coming along.

Reading today is:

FC: 9.0
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
AK: 90
CYA: 80

In order to run a high ch pool at that level, I should be maintaining the FC around 9.0 once the algae is gone. Correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.