Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Deep end

I have been trying to get the pool clean and running the last two weeks. Gave the pool a good scrub a couple times and the auto cleaner has been doing it's job. The pool looked great when I opened it, not much to clean out. I started out by shocking it and getting the salt water generator running.

Here are my readings
    FC=4
    TC=4
    CC=0
    PH=7.5
    TA=130 (same as what comes out of my tap water, tried lowering before but when I put water in it slowly goes right back to 130 range)
    CYA=50
    CH=110
    Salt=3400

This is my 3rd season with the pool and everything above seems to be ok so I am a little confused as to why the cloudy water in the deep end. Shallow end looks clear. Sand filter is reading about 15psi and has been back flushed several times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Deep end

Let the sand filter get a little dirty (ie backwash less often), or try adding a some DE to the sand filter. Either one should allow it to filter out more of the very fine particles that are making the water cloudy.

Also, if you don't have a main drain, make sure that at least one return is aimed down towards the bottom of the deep end.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason, I will give it a try. I do have 2 main drains and they have been running since startup.

Where do I purchase DE?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey BigDave....Welcome back!

Have you done an Overnight FC test lately, with the SWG off?

You can buy DE at the Pool Store. Also, pick up some CYA as your level is too low for an SWG...you want it at 70-80.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never tried the overnight FC test, but I will give it a go. I have the Taylor K-2005 kit which I hope will have enough resolution to catch a difference. I do have a auto pool cover and the pool stays closed the majority of the time. I would assume that I can close it for this test as well because the cover will just keep it dark as well.

Thanks for the tips....

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave
    I have never tried the overnight FC test, but I will give it a go. I have the Taylor K-2005 kit which I hope will have enough resolution to catch a difference. I do have a auto pool cover and the pool stays closed the majority of the time. I would assume that I can close it for this test as well because the cover will just keep it dark as well.

Thanks for the tips....
    You really should invest in the FAS-DPD test, you can purchase it to supplement your K2005. The DPD test is not precise enough. TFTestkits sells the individual test for around $25, so does the Taylor website.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com