CYA Catastrophe

You might also look and see if you have Reverse Osmosis services in your area.

They could filter out the CYA, but it can be spendy. I've heard quotes from $ 400 - $ 600.

But it might be a viable option for you instead of water replacement.

I did look and there doesn't appear to be one closer to me than Sacramento, about 3 hours away. I don't think it is really viable, but when I get the hard number for the CYA test and we figure out exactly how much water we will need to drain we can do a cost benefit analysis and see what it would cost for water and a possible fine / penalty vs finding out whether they would be willing to travel that far and the cost of RO.

OP, I recently took ownership of a 16 yr old 20k gals pool/spa and had it completely refilled 6 weeks ago. Prior to that, the pool guy advised me to call the water provider in my jurisdiction and explain to them that I have to completely drain the water to give way for the plaster patch work and acid wash. According to PB, pool owners in my region are allowed to drain and refill their pool once in every 4 or 5 yrs for maintenance or repair purposes. PB added I can even tell them (water provider) that my pool plaster is cracked at the bottom and is leaking water. They will never come out to inspect!

I did just that and without hesitation my water provider gave me a green light with no penalty. Found out, I am long due for a refill (once in every 4 yrs in my case). As advised, I sent them a copy of the repair invoice to avail of the 25% discount towards my water bill. Pretty cool, huh!

So if I were you, I'll make that phone call if you think refill is in your future. Good luck!

Yep, figured the past tense was going to stay that way for my phosphates questions. From reading around here I have picked up that nobody cares, which makes it a bit sad that Leslie's is able to scare the jinkies out of people with their phosphate testing. I guess they have a product to sell so they are sticking with the debunked theory that phosphates are algae food...

which is true- except TFP method leads to no algae to begin with :) Common sense would say no-food -> no algae but in reality you need chlorine in the pool primarily to fight various pathogens, algae is just collateral. Even if algae has no food something else needs to kill bacteria / viruses so you might use that (chlorine) just as well to kill algae.

In addition to what Max2k mentioned those phosphate removers don't remove all of the phosphates, they just lower the level, so think of using them as like throwing out half the food in your pantry to fight a rodent infestation. It is far better to eliminate the rodents, and keep them gone so you don't have to worry about having food they can get to in the pantry.

I like the analogy someone used recently. If you are in a pantry full of food and someone fills it with chlorine gas are you going to stick around to eat it? LOL! Now we have two pantry analogies! :)

Following up: with my fabulous new TF 100 kit I can now tell you with confidence that the CYA is 180 (sadly) and the FC is 9.5 with the SWG running at 50% for about 10 hours each day at variable speed.

The rest of the test results are in the middle of desired ranges, CC is 0.5 or less and the pool still looks lovely and clear, no swimming going on until we get the CYA down.

Our plan is to drain 40 - 50 % of the water (next weekend's job) and try to live with the CYA being on the high side until we get it down in time with back-flushing / rainwater dilution (thanks for telling me your experience with doing that, Jeff and Max).

I am not going to look any further into RO for solving the problem - if there was a local provider I would check it out but there isn't. I will talk to our water company before we drain (thanks for input on that, Meadow) but I don't think there will be an issue, just the high-ish cost of the water.

Thanks everyone for your advice - you have all been very helpful. I am no longer panic stricken.

:calm:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.