New pool owner with sand filter question

Kneppy

Jul 24, 2016
Apollo pa
So We just got our first pool 2 months ago,as of a few weeks ago it's been pretty good. That's when the water started looking cloudy not real bad just kinda milky. I thought it was my chems but they were pretty good from what I read anyway. I tried clairifer but no luck still cloudy. I was thinking the filter just couldn't filter out that small. So I added some de, when I did I noticed some came out the return. Is that normal? I read if it does the laterals could be broken. There is sand in the pool sometimes not a lot though.
Now the day after we had it installed the boro decided to rip the blacktop road up and replace it with stone, and everybody thinks it's a racetrack and flies up and down the road, so ther is a lot of dust in the air. THe pool is probably 75 to 100ft from the road. Here are my chems I am sure someone will ask lol. Free Chlorine: 5.5
Combine Chlorine: 0

Ph: 7.4

Total alkalinity: 90-100 (I have the tylor k006 kit. It kinda changed with 9 drops but really did with 10)

Calcium hardness: 100ppm

Canuric acid: 40
So really In all that my question is it normal for the pump to pump th de out on a pretty much brand new system? I was gonna tare the filter apart tomorrow before I do I want to make sure there is even a prob.
Tganks for any input

It sounds like you might have a channel in the sand that is allowing the de to pass through. Try doing a longer back wash and rinsing than normal, if that does not "reset" the sand, you can do a deep clean to fix the problem.

For sand in the pool, you would have seen it so after starting up the filter for the first time if it was a damaged lateral. It is unlikely that sand is being thrown 75 to 100' from the road. Dust yes but, not sand, it is too heavy to fly that far from driving. A lateral normally breaks when sand is removed or added to the filter improperly (like an Atilla the Hun installer). It might allow a bit of sand to pass through after each backwash The only way to check is to empty and refill the sand. If the filter, etc. is still under warranty, I would call the installer first and let them check things out.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Stop using DE and SLAM the pool. Your filter has not given any valid indication it can't get your water crystal clear but I'll bet chlorine by itself will fix your pool.

What does the water look like this AM?

Thanks for the replies
I mentioned the road dust in the air because if the cloudiness, I know sand wouldn't be coming from that lol
I just got home from work we been running the pump nonstop for three days, after last I added the de it is almost crystal clear

Kneppy can you set up your signature so everyone knows what the volume of your pool is, what test kit you're using etc? If you want to upload pictures go to photobucket's website and you can upload to the forum from there. If you become a supporter of TFP you will get additional perks including increased attachment space.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.