question about using the test kit

Hang in there, your pool sounds like mine a couple of days ago & this morning, my chlorine held overnight and the water is clearer than it ever was on Baquacil. We have rain today too so as recommended by others, I'm going to give it another day before changing out my sand to make sure levels hold overnight again. Actually, may just wait till Saturday to change it since my hubby will be home all day. :wink:

Good morning,
I have been at this conversion now for 18 days. The pool has been crystal clear for the last 5 days. As of last night I have used 263 gallons of bleach and I still can not get the chlorine to hold over night. Last night at 10pm my FC was 13, CC was 3, and PH was 7.5. This morning at 6am FC was 5.5, CC was 3, and PH 7.5. I went out 15 minutes later and the FC had dropped to 3. Shouldn't the chlorine been holding by now? Does water and air temp have anything to do with it? Air temps here have been in the low 90's and my water is 88 degrees. Having a hard time keeping my POP.

Shouldn't the chlorine been holding by now?
While your process seems extraordinarily long, there are only two things that consume chlorine........sunlight and organics in your pool.

You have eliminated the sunlight by performing the overnight FC loss test so organics (algae) is all that remains.

Bring your FC up to shock level (What is your CYA?) and hold it there continually and your pool will clear.

duraleigh, I assume CYA is zero. That is expected with a baquacil conversion and fits the behavior reported.

jewels-gt, I am sorry things are being so difficult for you. Some baquacil conversions are much more difficult than others. You must have a fair bit of baquacil goo accumulated in the plumbing/filter. It takes time for the chlorine to break it down layer by layer. If you haven't recently, you should clean the filter as well as you can.

You should expect chlorine to go away fairly quickly during the day. Sunlight "burns" off the chlorine relatively quickly when there isn't any CYA in the water.

You should focus on adding chlorine up to 15 two or three times in the evening, once in the early evening, once as late as possible, and if you have time once in the mid-evening.

That's o.k duraleigh. I appreciate any and all advice given. I have been putting the bleach in twice at night. I am going to up it to three times. Maybe that will help. Should I clean the filter with a filter cleaner or should I just continue to backwash? I backwashed 3 times today and the water was clean that came out. There is a new pool place that opened up down the road from me so I took some pool water there this morning to see if I still had some Bacq in it. To my surprise the lady told me they do not and will not have anything to do with Bacq. She said she hates the stuff and would never sell it or recommend it to anyone. I thanked her for being honest and not trying to sell the stuff like all the other pool places. I guess I will have to go further into town to get the water checked.

Just got back from the pool store. They tested for Baquacil and there is none left in my pool. My other readings are:

FC - 3.0
TC - 3.0
CC - 0.0
TA - 183
PH - 7.8
Cal- 172
CYA- 8

I know I need to lower my PH. When I did the CC test I came up with 2.5. I know my FC is low because I am not putting any bleach in during the day. My CYA I have no idea how I have any of that. The lady at the pool place said I can consider my pool a chlorine pool and to go ahead and change out my sand in filter and start making my adjustments. I just smiled and said thank you. I am now waiting to hear from you good people on really what I need to be doing now. I know I have got to be getting close.

The best way to tell how close to the end you are is to measure overnight FC loss. The more chlorine you have left in the morning, the closer to done you are.

The usual CYA tests are completely unreliable when CYA is below about 20. I doubt that the CYA level of 8 reported by the pool store means anything at all.

Continue to focus on adding chlorine in the evenings, and tell us what your overnight FC loss is each day and we can give you a much better idea of how things are going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.