First opening after 4 years...going the TFPC way...but what order?

After a two month struggle, finally got the pool cover repaired and saw water for the first time. I was expecting a swamp full of frogs and unwanted growth. Surprised when it was slightly green and only leaves. Water test was:
FAC - 0
TAC - 0
CH - high 460
CYA - Low 25
TA - High 150
PH - 7.8
I'm on well water and am fortunate that the iron and copper levels came back at 0.

I'm wondering if I have started and am following the proper order in getting things balanced.

Starting with the TA. Started adding Muriatic Acid and is now circulating.
Once that is where it needs to be, recheck the PH. If they are acceptable then move on deal with the Calcium Hardness. I don't really want to drain anything out. Is it okay to leave the calcium alone? I'm only getting the pool ready so we can put the house on the market.
If its permissible to bypass the CH, I'll move on to the FAC, followed by the CYA.

Is this the correct order to follow? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Don't worry about TA just yet...

Start with the chlorine...gotta get that algae dead...Crank it up to about 9FC. Keep cleaning the pool and get out all the muck
PH will come down with the addition of MA
You can target 30 CYA with slam levels but 25 is a bad reading... cant really tell that low...IF the water is a little cloudy, you know some may be in there...not sure how much

You can Slam now if you like... IF it were me, I would add enuf stabilizer to go from 20 to 30 then target 40 for slam

You correct order should be:

FC then pH (pH is near the high end but fine @ 7.8)
CYA - get to atleast 30-40

CH is good enough and TA is something that you can alter with changes pH. High TA itself is not an issue, but it can have a tendency to encourage pH to raise quickly.

These all look like pool store numbers, so use caution as they can be poor at best most of the time. Since you are selling, buying a test kit may not be in the budget. But it would be a nice house warming gift.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.