What's the grossest thing you've found in your pool?

Smoke lawn I like the link, Before you do any of the following you must dress up like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack when he found the Baby Ruth..... Drained the Pool

Follow these steps to remove the animal and disinfect the water:

Close the pool to swimmers.
Put on disposable gloves.
Use a net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
Double bag the animal in plastic garbage bags.
Clean off any debris or dirt from the item used to remove the dead animal.
Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags.
Close the garbage bags and place them in a sealed trash can to help keep wild animals away from the dead animal.
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately.
Raise the free chlorine concentration to, or maintain it at, 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less; keep the temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 30 minutes.
Confirm that the filtration system is operating properly during this time.
Disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal by immersing it in the pool during the 30 minute disinfection time.

We live in the woods -In addition to the deer I have found the following numerous times - Spiders (today), black bugs (today), moths (today), bees, wasps, ants, frogs, moles, mice, baby rabbits (one), lizards (yesterday), snakes, non poisonous black snake swam in and out a few years ago, garter snakes, ringed neck snakes (this year more than once), one baby copperheads last year (I drowned him). The second one bit my Jack Russell the day before found him with a shovel blade and spat. The dog (Cowboy) was ok just lots of swelling.... The Copperheads are the only thing that really worried me. Never have seen any before or after that and have lived here 20 years. I usually try to save what I can including the non poisonous snakes. I have always heard the black snakes keep the copperheads away. We also have a pond about a 100 yards away with many fish and wildlife there too. Most likely that is where the snakes live. I have never seen a snake in the pool in the daylight they only show up and night and will be swimming around the next morning but not often but it does happen especially in dry weather :)

almost swam right into a Devil's coach horse beetle a few weeks back. My last pool/house had them in the skimmer often and in the house!

scary looking and they have quite a bite, so I've heard.

The grossest thing I ever had in my pool?.

I was swimming around underwater with a pair of goggles. As I am doing this I see something else move. What the heck was that? After chasing this thong around I finally caught it with the net and discarded it. This was a few years ago at least. Since it was underwater I can only assume it was a boatman. It was light in color and a little smaller than the palm of my hand when it legs were spread out. The ends of the legs looked like they had some kind of pads on them and the legs were neck slimmer than the feet.

It kind of freaked me out at the time. What the heck was that thing!!!. Lol

Other than that all I do is scoop out all the toys and goggles the kids leave in there after swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the pleasure of waking up the morning we were leaving for a long weekend vacation to find a possum staring at me on the ledge of one of my skimmers. I had to look a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it out but shoving it back into the skimmer with a pole and then trying to lift it out with a pole. That didn't work. Next I got a hanger and attached it to the pole as my skimmer basket has a bar across the top. I tried to hook onto that and pull it up but the possum was too big. At one point he grabbed the hanger and held on and I almost got him out by him holding tight. Finally I pushed him out with the pole back into the pool and he started swimming. Caught him with my net and let him go in the woods. Not the morning I was expecting :cool:

Couple of pack rats that I figure the dog chased into the water. One in the skimmer (not bad) and the other off the bottom. Wife opened the skimmer one day to find a Desert Hairy Scorpion looking up at her. We dried him off and once he warmed up he was perky again. Taught me to take a good look before reaching into the skimmer basket to pull out the Palo Verde needles.

around here, the big scorpions eat the little (bark) scorpions, so if not in the house, they get a pass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.