Intex Strainer Assembly Too Small For Upsized Pump?

SCBillsFan

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2015
Blacksburg, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last summer after only two weeks of use, the Intex 12" 2100gph sand filter pump that came with our pool died. I got a new motor under warranty, but opted to upgrade the sand filter pump to the Intex 16" 3000gph after reading posts on here that suggested the 12" was too small for this sized pool. The bigger pump worked so much better! Now this summer, we have a new issue. Lots of bugs and leaves floating on top of the water. We purchased the Intex over the wall skimmer. It wasn't until I went to hook it up that I realized our pool has the small intex strainer grids and it should probably have the large ones. There is never any debris in the basket of the filter pump. I'm guessing if I had the large strainer grids, I may not even need the over the wall skimmer. My questions are:confused::

1. Can I replace the 2 small strainer grids and connectors with the larger ones? What size hose attaches to the large strainer connectors?
2. Would I have to replace the plunger valves also?
3. Would I need to cut the 2 holes in the pool wall that the strainer connectors go through bigger to accommodate the large strainer connectors?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!:)

I am too new to help with some of your questions, but here are instructions for installing the larger intake and return. I plan to do this too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.