I need help! Cloudy Pool

reebok said:
pool volume shouldn't matter in testing, the error would be in how much chemicals to add. but that's pretty close anyway.
according to thepoolcalculator.com you have 14,600 gallons.

Hmmm. I got 14,200 ( I had to check :hammer: ) - what's funny is in my booklet from the Pool Store purchase paperwork, our gallonage is listed at just shy of 13,500. Oh well.

Hang in there, and I agree with Dave...wait for your kit and no more cal-hypo! :mrgreen:

You really don't need to know the exact volume. You just need to be somewhere in the right neighborhood of the number of gallons, which all of these estimates already are. Anything from 13,500 to 15,000 gallons should be fine.

If the water depth is really 52", that is 4.3333 feet, and I get 14,700 gallons. But 52" pools often have 48" (4.0 feet) of water in them, which would be 13,500 gallons. Using 4.2 feet gives 14,200 gallons, and 4.3 feet gives 14,600 gallons.

Thanks everyone. I think we probably fill it to about 4 feet. I'm 4' 8" (really) and it comes up to about my neck when it is full. Today, we drained it down and removed a frog and directly connected a new hose from pool to pump. We are refilling now. It didn't seem like our pump was pumping very well - every time I would vacuum, it would clog up really fast. I am going to try to continue to vacuum tomorrow and will wait for our test kit before adding any chemicals. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I should be getting our test kit tomorrow and as soon as I figure it out, I will post the numbers. I can't wait to get our pool squared away. I have been vacuuming it some and getting some debris out. It also appears that there is some sand in it, too. I did add five 96 ounce containers of bleach over the past few days and the water doesn't seem quite as cloudy - at least not milky. I have also noticed some little bitty round green things floating around. Not sure if that is something off trees or if it's algae. The green things are about as big around a small nail head and look kind of like snowflakes.

Tomorrow before I do the test, should I brush the bottom of the pool? Is there anything I need to do first? Backwash? Thanks for your help. :)

Nah, just make sure the water circulates for at least one hour before you test. Test sample should be taken about 18 inches down. Grab a clean cup or something and fill it, then take it somewhere out of direct sunlight to perform the tests. Don't get nervous, just take your time.

You'll be a pool geek like the rest of us in no time. :mrgreen: :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay! I have my numbers. Loved the test kit, by the way. Very simple to use. Here are my numbers:

FC .5
CC 2
TC 2.5
TA 340
CH 390
CYA below 20 - I poured the entire contents of the cylinder into the CA tube and could still see the black dot.

What do you think I need to do? I hope we don't have to drain our pool.

Dickie and Teresa said:
Okay! I have my numbers. Loved the test kit, by the way. Very simple to use. Here are my numbers:

FC .5
CC 2
TC 2.5
TA 340
CH 390
CYA below 20 - I poured the entire contents of the cylinder into the CA tube and could still see the black dot.

What do you think I need to do? I hope we don't have to drain our pool.

Hi there! You don't have to drain. :wink:

First, CYA - you say "cylinder" - you mix first in the small mixing bottle with the label on it, the one with the red cap, wait 30 seconds, mix again, then pour it into the view tube....are you using the right mixing bottle? It's not the cylinder with ml markings on it....

Have you seen this link:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

The view tube is different but it dives you an idea of the endpoint. Anyway, are you sure you followed the instructions correctly?

Repeat the TA test. This time, wipe the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth in between drops. I think static is producing an incorrect result.

Where is the PH results? :)

You have a high CC reading, and need to shock your pool with bleach....but first we have to figure this CYA thing out. :wink:

There probably isn't any water replacement in your future, though there might be.

You didn't post your PH level.

You should add 30 ppm of CYA. That should get you up to perhaps 40, which will make it much simpler to get the pool cleaned up.

If your TA test result is correct, your TA level is very high, and CH is a little high. The combination puts you at risk for calcium scaling. You should probably start working on lowering your TA level fairly soon. You can start by bringing the PH down to between 7.0 and 7.2. You won't be able to adjust PH wil the FC level is high, so work on lowering TA when FC is low.

You are going to need to continue shocking. Once you add CYA that should get simpler and more effective.

I'm sure I did the CYA test correctly. I misspoke - it was not the cylinder I used, but the little bottle.

It is dark here now and I don't have a light at the pool so I will have to wait until tomorrow to repeat the TA test.

My pH was between 7.2 and 7.5.

Where do I get CYA stuff to put in? :shock:

I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow evening to repeat the TA. I may not get to it until very late. We won't get home from church and choir practice until after 9:00. If I put the water in the cylinder and put the lid on it, is it okay to do the test later or is the water temp important?

You can bring the water sample in and test the TA indoors, can't you?

You mixed the CYA solution both times before adding it to the tube? It's just bewildering me that you're results were so much lower than the Pool Store's result, not that they are reliable by any means.

You can buy CYA at the Pool Store or Walmart/Lowes pool departments. Look for Cyanuric Acid on the Active Ingredient label.

"Dark pinkish" red is fine. That's what I get. Kinda Magenta-ish.

So your first test was 340,
then you got 290
then you got 240?

Correct? I think static is to blame.... do you notice if the drops come out in uniform size, similar in drop sizes of other tests? (I don't think your TA is really that high.)

We'll go ahead and certify your CYA test results as accurate :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.