New Pool Owner - Need a Plan!

Viflux

Jul 7, 2016
London, ON
Hey guys,

First - let me thank you very much for the wonderfully awesome community you have here. My wife and I recently moved into a new home (last weekend) with an in-ground pool and no pool knowledge whatsoever. I've been reading a lot over the last few days and took a sample of water in to get tested (test kit is in the mail...). I know I've got to do something, and I'm looking for a little guidance/validation of my plan.

Test Results:

- Free Chlorine = 0ppm
- Total Alkalinity = 180ppm
- pH = 8.4
- Cyanuric Acid = 30ppm
- Calcium Hardness = 150ppm

On the advice of a helpful neighbor I had them test the phosphate level as well - came out at 500ppb.

Obviously I need get the FC way up, and bring the pH down. Does one of those come before the other? I added a scoop of "Omni pH Decreaser" before coming in for the night. I'm heading to the pool store in the morning to pick-up liquid chlorine and was planning to dump at least one of them into the pool tomorrow night.

Am I on the right track?

You're on the right track with a test kit on the way. Which did you purchase? How did you get those initial test results?

I would get the pH down to 7.2. Muriatic acid is the best product to use as it adds nothing you don't want in your pool, is the cheapest and is available at most any hardware store for less than the pool store. Solid pH reducers add sulfates to your pool water which can cause crystalline build up on the pool surface if used for long periods of time. Use caution with muriatic acid as it is caustic with caustic vapors in high humidity weather. When dosing with MA, input your current pH AND TA values into Pool Math (link at top of page). TA level determines how much acid you need to reduce from a given pH. Check out Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals, especially reading how chemicals should be added to the pool for each type.

After circulating acid addition for 30 minutes, get some FC in the pool! Zero is not good. Use the Chlorine/CYA chart in my signature to determine what FC level you need to maintain, based on your CYA level.

It's a lot to take in at first and questions are welcome!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I purchased this one - Taylor Technologies K-1004 Trouble-Shooter Pool/Spa Test Kit: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn Garden. The test results that I provided came from a local pool shop - they seem like knowledgeable folks and were able to explain to me what each of the products the previous owners left behind were for (including pointing out that most were not really needed). They didn't try to sell me anything and didn't charge for the testing, so I'll be going back there shortly to pick-up the chlorine.

I'll inquire about the muriatic acid as well - thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.