First tests... TA very high

Jul 3, 2016
Akron, OH
I'm new at this so please bear with me... just set the pool up a week ago. Finally did the first round of testing and I'm a bit surprised at the TA level, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to those of you have more experience...

TC = 0
pH = 8.2 (could be higher, this is the max on my tester)
TA = 250 ppm
TH = 270 pm

I didn't do the CYA test because I read that since I just filled the pool, the test would be a waste.
We have well water, and to date (over the past week) I've added a total of 3.5 cups of household bleach (8.25%). Currently the water is clear and looks inviting. The weather here in northeast Ohio has been cooler the past several days so we have not been in the pool (was in it 2 x last weekend).
I used the pool calculator and it tells me to add 11 oz of bleach -- easy enough. I've read that I need to add muratic acid (which I will have to buy), Is that the best ingredient to use?

My question is about the TA & pH readings. What would be the recommended next step(s)...?

yup... MA is what you need... it will drop both your Ph, and TA. Lowes is the best place to buy it (it is in the paint section)

Welcome to TFP

You do want to get some CYA in there as well

But on your TA/PH question, yes, use muratic acid to lower your PH to the mid 7's. If it stays there, don't mess with TA. TA is a buffer for your PH and hopefully by just adjusting PH as needed the two (TA and PH) will find their sweet spot where your PH doesn't change much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.