Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H300 heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H300 heater

I hope i can explain this. My heater is leaking so i took off the top and the heat shield. On the right side of the heat exchanger there are 2 openings one on top of the other. The top one has a wire probe exiting from it and the bottom one has nothing. The bottom one is where a steady stream of water is coming out. Almost seems like something is missing. I know this isn't the best explanation but any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward H300 heater

Welcome,
    Can you post a pic? Use Photobucket.com or similar image hosting if you can. Copy the IMG code and paste it in your message.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

looking at the parts diagram it could be the brass plug? are these known to come out?

4. Back To Top    #4

i'll try and load a picture tonight.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the leak coming from a threaded hole? Or is there something that looks like a brass plug with a hole in the middle of it? Those heaters usually come with a drain plug, which is a brass plug with a threaded drain in the middle of it. The plugs are removed/opened when winterizing the heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

see pics attached, and thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

It's hard to tell by the picture exactly where the leak is coming from. Can you see water coming out anywhere in particular? If it's coming from up top where the bolts are you may have bad gaskets on the heat exchanger tubes.

8. Back To Top    #8

I didn't have the pump on so tonight i'll take another picture with the leak. This really isn't a leak but more of a steady pressureized flow.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a better picture. That red wire has nothing to do with it as it runs behind the heater. The water is coming out of the nut looking valve below the 1 more visable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh, wow! That's a deteriorated bulb well, the same as the one above it. You could replace it, or just unscrew it and find a brass plug that will fit the same thread size.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you sir, I believe its a 3/4 inch plug. What does it do?

12. Back To Top    #12

It's used to mount temperature sensors. I'm not really sure why there are two, since you only need the one for the thermostat...