Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter

I decided to try adding some DE to my sand filter to try and improve my clarity a bit more. I should have added it more gradually but I eyeballed it. After a few minutes I checked filter pressure and it was up just a bit more than 1psi (19psi->20.5) so I thought I was golden. I just checked 3 hours later and pressure is up about 4-5psi (24psi). Any risk in damaging my pump or filter system with that much pressure rise?
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter

Is it possible that the additional rise in pressure is due to the filter catching a lot of the finer debris that the sand alone was missing?
    IG ~15,000 Gallon Plaster Pool with Attached Spa
    Hayward SwimClear C4025 - 150GPM, Cartridge
    2hp Pump 1.1 Service Rating
    Direct sunlight most of the day

3. Back To Top    #3

4-5 psi should not be harmful. When do you backwash normally?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I woke this AM and walked out to the pool. WOW. The DE had really helped. Water was glass all the way to the bottom.
    However, i realized that the jets were just bubbling a tiny bit and little water was coming out. I went out to the pump
    and pressure was up near 28psi, condensation in the pressure gauge (it rained last night), and the pump was not pumping
    much. I have had a small intermittent pressure leak at my filter that occassionaly will allow some air/water out the backwash
    port if the valve mechanism does not seal well. I think the added pressure causes the leak to come back and get slightly worse.
    I think I need to replace a seal in the filter. I decided to backwash the DE out, and the pump went back to the old pressure.

Probably some of the better clarity in the pool was due to jets not moving the water, but I still think the DE made
    a noticable difference. As for backwashing, I had a pretty bad pool starting the season, so I was backwashing every
    day for a about a week. Then I went to every few days. Now I am at about 2-3weeks

Additionally, one of my 3 jets seems to have a decent amount of air (bubbles/fizz) in the water stream, even when my pump is holding at 19psi.
    Hunting this down is on my to-do list.

All in all I am happy with the DE experiment but I need to hunt down some leaks before I do again.
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot

5. Back To Top    #5

you can add de to a sand filter?
    Above ground 33 ft round 52 in. high
    Approx. 25000 gallons
    Hayward Dreamline Sand filter holds 250lbs sand
    Hayward CL-200 chlorinator
    Hayward 1.5 hp 67 GPM pump

6. Back To Top    #6

yup...instructions are in pool school...just a little is all you need
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Last night I also added DE to improve the water clarity. I put in enough to raise the pressure from 7 to 8 psi, (1 3/4 cups). After about 4-5 hours, the pressure was up to 15 psi. I decided to backwash before I went to bed as I wasn't sure how how the pressure might go overnight. The water was uber clear, the next morning. I suspect that my sand is a little old(5 years).

I would add something to the Pool School, that says, it is normal to see PSI rise, as the filter scrubs more particles out of the water, but to be careful as the PSI may be become excessive in short order.
    20x40 vinyl IGP(120,000 L), with Intelliflow VF Pump.
    17 boxes of Enersol Solar panels,
    Hayward Sand filter, Polaris(Auto-Clear) SWG,

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a good idea. I updated the Pool School article.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I am doing this now. Pressure has went up 8 psi, gonna do a backwash before bed as well to relieve some psi, it has to be sucking up all of the pine particles the sand wasn't.
    16x32 27k gal oval gunite pool, 24-inch Hayward sand filter, 1HP pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Does the DE need replaced with each backwash?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrouch
    Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrouch
    Yes.

Edit: Darn Richard, you love doing that don't you!!!!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing