Soon to be in ground pool owner feeling overwhelmed by the thought.

Jul 1, 2016
Easton, PA
Hello, and thank you for having me on the site. My wife and I are purchasing a new home that comes with an in ground heated pool. Having never owned or maintained a pool the thought is becoming a bit overwhelming to me. Any suggestions as to inspections, things to look for etc.? We had our home inspection and the inspector noticed that the ladder was not grounded, and there was minor repair needed to the concrete in the pool. The current owners have the pool open, it appears clear, and functioning. I am waiting on information as to how many gallons, etc. Where in the world do I begin??

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

The links that the experts post are well written and concise. Read them a few times if need be, and ask any question that comes to mind. It seems like a lot to absorb at first, but when you get the concepts, it all comes together and is quite straight-forward.

The thing not to do, is go to a pool store and talk to them. They like to make it all complex so you will buy their magic potions. There's 1000s of threads here at TFP describing pool store horror stories, including everything from large wads of wasted money through to recommendations that result in re-doing everything to get the pool right.