ATTN POOL LEAK EXPERTS.. Please help assess the Pool Detection guy's results

Jul 3, 2015
Atlanta
I just bought a home with a vinyl liner pool. I quickly found that the pool has a leak and drops about an inch a day. Through initial trial and error, I found that the water loss is seemingly non existent when I utilize the floor drain only. Additionally, I saw no apparent correlation to the use of different return lines.

The pool guy came out yesterday and pressure tested the skimmer lines by plugging one (there are two total) and applying pressure to the other. I saw the pressure slowly drop, and did hear a pretty distinct gurgling with his geophones at the likely spot in the concrete where the two skimmer lines join the line to the pump.

My confusion is that from my reading online it sounds like a suction side leak shouldn't lose water when the pump is running and yet that is exactly what I'm seeing.

If you have a suction side leak in the skimmer lines two things should be happening:

1. You should be having some air bubbles coming out from the returns.

2. If you let the water just drop without running the pump it should stop just below the skimmers.

Give us a picture of your pool and tell us where the alleged leak is gurrgling. Leaks like you describe are faily rare in the big picture.

Nice looking pool.

Is it wet in that area? Is there extra air in your filter?

Suction side leaks usually produce bubbles.

I suspect you are not losing that much when the pump is on but just not noticing the loss when the pump is off.

So your choices are tunneling or sawcutting.

But before you do either i would dig down to the line where it emerges and see if there is dripping. I might even tunnel in a foot or two. This requires young labor and eventually beer.

The main issue is that if you have a leak there you do not want your concrete undermined.

If you go to sawcutting, have a good concrete guy come in and do the sawcutting and demo of the concrete. That way when he puts it back together it looks good. If you tunnel its not fun and you have to recompact after you are done.

To verify that the leaks is coming from the skimmers, before doing any tunneling or cutting, you can plug in the skimmers and check the waterline level in a 24 hours period, if it doesn't drop that inch you mentioned then you will have a confirmation.

Enviado desde mi 6039A mediante Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.