Another build in DFW... far north DFW

Very nice! You seem to be right on line with my timeline, maybe a day or two ahead of me. 13 days from dig to Gunite.... lost 3 days due to 4th of July and rain. Making great progress with this BEAUTIFUL DRY WEATHER.

They finished all of the plumbing on Sat afternoon around 2. They might have finished on Friday evening if it wasn't for the freak storm we had Friday AM which is why there is water still in bottom of pool

We are scheduled for the gunite truck tomorrow AM, woohoo! I assume they will pump out the water in the bottom?
Like I was saying in the other thread, I am just so ready for decking day BC I am OVER all of this dirt everywhere. I need my nice, clean yard back!!!! I know, I know, first-world problems lol.

thanks so much for all of the helpful feedback and compliments!
The gunite crew showed up at 7 am and got right to work. Will follow up with some pics soon.

I think I have finally picked my tile and plaster...
the ever popular blue smurf pebblesheen! And I think I have finally settled on this tile... it helped that I finally found a build here that used it several years ago. So much better to see it IRL than in the staged catalog photos! It is called Vulcano by Noble Tile.

and the coping will be oklahoma flagstone. I picked this tile based on blending with the coping and being complimentary to our house color (light blue)... we want as much of a natural-lagoonish feel as we can get without having to pay for upgraded pebble to the darker pebble colors. Blue Surf is one of the standard pebble colors for our builder.

Here is the best pic I got yesterday after gunite.

We already have a suicidal frog at the bottom. loved finding that this morning. Watering the gunite should come with hazard pay! I nearly fell down the stairs, poked my foot with some thick barbed wire from something that popped up when I stepped on it... I think it is because we have so little area around the pool that trying to navigate the hose and get in all the areas around the pool is difficult without it getting hung on every stake, rebar, etc... Hope I make it out of this 10 day period fairly unscathed!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the barstools! What suggestions do you all have for making the tops of those stand out so they are easily seen for safety reasons?

I wonder about new visitors to the pool who don't know they are there, jumping in and not seeing them...? My husband had to have them. He can't wait to get his tv mounted in the back corner of the patio where he will have perfect view from the barstools to watch football lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much for your thoughts..
glass tiles... while it would look so pretty, I am a little apprehensive about it because we aren't using glass tile anywhere else in the pool and I am worried it would look out of place? Stone would be too rough to sit on, would make picks on swimsuit bottoms, etc... hmm, I am at a loss. I wonder if just adding the shimmering or glass beads to the plaster that goes on top of them would add enough to make them stand out?

Also, looking at our waterline tile choice, what color grout would you go with? There is so much variation between the tiles, I am unsure. For inside the house, I love white/bone colored grout because I like light and bright but I am not sure about how much that would discolor in the water.

What about using your waterline tile? Does it come in a smaller size, like a 1x1? If not, I'd just try laying out some tile as the bench seats. The seats wouldn't even have to be round; they could be square!

Thanks so much for your thoughts..
glass tiles... while it would look so pretty, I am a little apprehensive about it because we aren't using glass tile anywhere else in the pool and I am worried it would look out of place? Stone would be too rough to sit on, would make picks on swimsuit bottoms, etc... hmm, I am at a loss. I wonder if just adding the shimmering or glass beads to the plaster that goes on top of them would add enough to make them stand out?

Also, looking at our waterline tile choice, what color grout would you go with? There is so much variation between the tiles, I am unsure. For inside the house, I love white/bone colored grout because I like light and bright but I am not sure about how much that would discolor in the water.

Are you doing any toe tiles on your benches or steps? You could use glass for that and it would tie into any glass you use on your stools. I didn't have glass anywhere in my pool either and our stone is all very neutral. I ended up matching the glass to the beads in my finish. You could always try to find a glass that matched the plaster color of the smurf or add the beads and ask for a sample to try and match.

Grout was hard for me because it was a last minute choice and I didn't have samples. Trying to decide from pictures online turned out to be a fail that was luckily caught by my PB because the color was so off on the screen from reality. I'd ask for samples and line them up next to the tile outside. The tile stores often have samples you can take as well but you have to verify with your PB the brand that will be used to make sure it's the same. Going too light would scare me and won't look the same wet or sealed. I'd try to find the one that blends in the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I am still thinking on this and need to decide quick. They start tile and stone Monday! Budget wise- we would only add the tiles to the stools and the edge of the tanning ledge. The quote to trim all steps, benches, and the spa was just more than we want to do...so now I am trying to figure out which 1" tiles from the noble tile catalog to add that matches our other choices. Not planning to add any shells or beads to the surf blue pebblesheen if we do the tiles. Basically it is either the upgrade to the pebblesheen or the tiles, can't do both!

ack! Patience is not my strong-suit. Tile and stone was supposed to start today and they didn't show up and no response from PB as to when they will be here. Tomorrow it will be a week since anything has been done to the pool and of course rain is projected in the forecast tomorrow through the end of the week!

I love the tile you chose!! Very pretty!!
thank you! Your pool is stunning! So glad it is finally done for you!!

Are you in Savannah off of 380?

Everything looks good!
Yes, we are! We have been here about 11 years. We lived in our old house up until just a few months ago and then bought a different house in our same neighborhood. One of the main reasons we moved is because we wanted a pool and our old yard was too small for a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.