Brown stain - non-metal

Hoster

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
The stain looks a bit more brown than shown in pics

Background:
1. this stain disappeared after opening the pool (and with extra stain)
2. but "reappeared" recently after / during SLAM (to resolve cloudy water)
3. Natural Chemistry Metal Free - 1 liter (a month ago) with a Curator / Metal Eliminator pouch in skimmer currently
4. current chemistry
- FC: 3.0
- PH: 7.8
- TA: 100
- CH: 220
- CYA: 40 (ordered and will increase to 80)
- Salt: 3400

Tried so far:
1. brushing underwater - nothing
2. Ascorbic acid - applied, rubbed with AA in stocking but nothing
3. Natural Chemistry Extra Strength Stain Free - applied on top of the stain overnight (with the pump shutoff) - nothing

I don't think this is metal stain and wanted to check with TFP before trying a trichlor tab.......thanks in advance for your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160626_065942.jpg
    IMG_20160626_065942.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20160626_065954.jpg
    IMG_20160626_065954.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 62
That IS NOT black algae. If continues to come back, I suspect something was spilled at some point (maybe when the pool was empty) that has permanently altered the surface of your liner. elevated FC will likely keep it from reappearing.....probably about 6-8 FC with a CYA of 80.

Dave, you are definitely an EXPERT!!! ;)
Yes, it did come back after a few days. After some rain in NJ (which increased my water level by 1/2 - 3/4 inch), my FC (6 to 1) and CYA (80 to 60) level dropped rather dramatically and the stain reappeared. Turning up the SWG to increase FC and starting with 2lb of stabilizer in a pair of stockings. I have also noticed very small, circular stain in orange (like rust) which may have come from seeds / trees. Tried the same #1 = #3 including the trichlor tab but this one does not budge at all......will post some pics later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.